GTX 280 fan/temp issue

I know it's an older card, but its all I have atm, and I have no money to be able to buy a new one.

And my problem is this. Normally, when my computer boots, the fan starts off at a really high speed (max, lets say) and then spins down to idle fan speed. Today, however, it starts off like that, but goes right back to max speed, and stays there. A lot of the time, the card will shut itself off (red/green light on card goes red) but sometimes it will let me boot, and play around in Windows for a bit, before shutting off.

I have also noticed that in MSI Afterburner, it reports my temps weirdly - starts off at 0, then 192, then 128, then 62, the 0, then right back up to 192, etc, and I think the card is shutting off because it thinks it's overheating. Is there anything I could do to fix it, or am I out my computer until I can find a new card. Specs:

AMD Phenom II x4 955BE @ 4.0 GHz
Corsair Hydro H70 CPU cooler
Nvidia Geforce GTX 280
Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
2x2GB G.Skill DDR3
Sunbeam 680w PSU
various SATA drives
3 answers Last reply
More about temp issue
  1. Is this your psu?
    If yes this PSU is not a good quality one..
    first check your gpu in some other machine and see if it is haviing any problem
    If it has any problem then your card has problem else I will say get a new PSU some good brands like Corsair , Antec, Coolermaster will do.
  2. Yea, thats the one, and it's actually served me very well for the past year and a bit.
    And I don't have any other PC handy to test it in, non that supports PCIe, at least.
  3. seeing the feedbacks on this psu all are having problems with it.. Some says it did not even run gtx 260 :?
    well, you can try in on your friend's pc just to make sure that t is not a GPU problem
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product