Sign in with
Your question

Am I FUBAR?

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2011 8:45:17 AM

My heatsink fans just started smoking due to cables making contact and It smelled like something was burning. What should I do now? Hire a computer technician? All of my components were purchased from NewEgg.com. Now I'm drowning in my tears of frustration.

More about : fubar

September 27, 2011 9:33:32 AM

You seriously didn't hear the horrible grinding noise that the fan wires make as they strike the fan? Not a huge deal. You either need a new fan, or a new heatsink. What heatsink were you using?
m
l
September 27, 2011 11:39:18 AM

I was using the stock heat sink that came with my Phenom IIX4 965 B.E.
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2011 7:29:51 PM

I should mention that my computer no longer turns on now. I believe my processor is fried.
m
l
September 27, 2011 7:39:13 PM

two problems here

1...your processor got hot enough to melt plastic......thats bad!!!

2...yeah....you prolly fried your cpu....and if your really unlucky your mobo or psu.....

your 12v fan shorted out to your heatsink and most likely took out your cpu as it grounded out through you cpu....

lets troubleshoot.....

1 does it p.o.s.t???

2 do any fans spin???
m
l
September 27, 2011 7:45:57 PM

No and no, I'm sure the CPU is fried.
m
l
September 27, 2011 7:52:29 PM

Could be a Power Supply issue ..but yeah we'll have to go through it 1 piece at a time.

Need your System Specs ..
PSU = Make Model and Watts
CPU = AMD Ph II 965 BE
HS and Fan = Stock (well not anymore)
MotherBoard =
RAM =
Graphics Card(s) =
Hard Drive(s) =
DVD Drive(s) = ( I assume just 1 standard $20 burner)
any other components , like PCI cards (sound cards, NICs , USB expansions, TV tuners, etc)

you said it wont turn on anymore ..your CPU ..might be ok (and that's a mighty big IF)
since it generally has a feature to turn itself off if it hit certain Temp.
though you prolly fried your PSU ..hence no power to turn on with ..
how exactly did it start smoking ..was the fan wire hitting the fan blades ..and making the noise of hitting ..or did it just start smoking
m
l
September 27, 2011 7:52:37 PM

ok lets test the psu........

switch off your psu......

pull off the mobo 24pin plug......

take a paperclip and jump the green and orange wires.........

turn on the switch.......fan goes....its still good......

no fan ....... its your psu
m
l
September 27, 2011 9:39:49 PM

Here is a list of my components

NZXT Apollo Mid tower case
Gigjabyte 990XA-UD3 motherboard
EVGA Superclocked GTX 580 AMD
Phenom IIx4 965 B.E. processor
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
Antec Neo Eco 620W PSU

Also the processor doesn't stay attached to the socket anymore, probably because a couple pins are now bent and it may have fried. I didn't see any burn marks on any of the components however.
m
l
September 27, 2011 11:19:44 PM

bent pins are a 'time to replace' moment regardless of anything else
m
l
September 28, 2011 12:34:44 AM

badtaylorx said:
ok lets test the psu........

switch off your psu......

pull off the mobo 24pin plug......

take a paperclip and jump the green and orange wires.........

turn on the switch.......fan goes....its still good......

no fan ....... its your psu

Taylor I just tested it and it worked. I tested the PSU and the CPU. The fan was running
m
l
September 28, 2011 1:12:56 AM

thats great!!!!

hears whats not.....

your mobo is prolly fried.....if a cpu is fried usually the computer will start up but not compleatly.....ie...startup errors.......and that sucks

processor not locking in is odd as well....makes me think that your cpu got reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllly hot......how far exactly did you overclock that poor thing on stock cooling anyway???

do you have another chip to test the mobo???
m
l
September 28, 2011 3:24:14 AM

badtaylorx said:
thats great!!!!

hears whats not.....

your mobo is prolly fried.....if a cpu is fried usually the computer will start up but not compleatly.....ie...startup errors.......and that sucks

processor not locking in is odd as well....makes me think that your cpu got reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllly hot......how far exactly did you overclock that poor thing on stock cooling anyway???

do you have another chip to test the mobo???

I never even got to install Windows 7 on this brand new rig. I guess I have to buy another CPU qand motherboard, correct?
m
l
September 28, 2011 3:41:48 AM

thats what it sounds like.....

now...did you actually have a wire arching out to that amd heatsink???

if not it makes me wonder where that smell came from and why your cpu socket wont catch...

id try an RMA for $hits and giggles see if you can pin this on gigabite....

can you take a closeup of it for me???
m
l
September 28, 2011 4:28:37 AM

well, technically ..depending on just how bent and/or burnt the CPU is ..it is Possible (with EXTREMELY Careful and surgical like precision, to bend them back into place) ..though I dont know just how bent they are .. like bent a little bit ..prolly ok to straighten ..bent like they never went into the socket, and got mashed flat when latching the Heatsink down ..mmmmm prolly not fixable

yeah , I think we are gonna pics on this one ..clear close up pics , of the CPU and MB, and and the Latching /Catcihng Mechanism for the CPU ..

Toms has some great guides to help with your builds as well ..some videos too I think.. showing exactly how to put stuff together ..and what goes where ..I like to think of it as Legos ..with Electricity :)  .. most parts are designed to only fit 1 way,

Although ..Badtaylorx also has a good idea on the RMA ...
m
l
September 28, 2011 4:48:44 AM

dude you killed my innuendo....

lol
m
l
September 28, 2011 8:20:11 AM

went ..right.. over .. my.. head.. , LOL , sorry didnt even see that one ..you should have put quotes around the 'pin' this one on ..would have totally text translated properly to me then. ...

but yeah like you I am curious about the burning smell and the HSF not seating properly ..and just how this might have happened on new gear like this ..I just dont see it ..well not without pics , lol.
m
l
!