Can't boot to windows after video card crash without removing USB

Hi folks,

As it says in the title I get this weird issue where occasionally when playing specific games my monitor goes to a black screen with the last second of sound looping which forces me to power off the PC then restart it.

Now when I restart it will progress beyond uefi boot and show the Windows 7 loading screen for a second or 2 but then freeze and the only way I can get my PC to boot to windows after that is another hard shutdown and restart having removed 2 USB cables from my motherboard.
I don't think it's a driver issue as I have removed USB's connected to various devices and just regular USB - mini USB/USB - iPod cables, I've always just removed a pair from 2 of the top 4 USB slots so I couldn't tell you whether the removal from the lower slots or just removing 1 would also allow me to boot into windows.

I'm confused because the USB and Graphics card are 2 wholly separate entities to my mind, so I'm wondering if perhaps this could be due to an unstable overclock?

My stats are:

CPU - Sandy Bridge Core i5 running at 4.9ghz
Mobo - Asus Maximus IV Extreme (P67 revision B)
Graphics card - GTX 570 Point of View Beast edition
Ram - 16GB GSkill at 2133Mhz (reference speed and timings)
PSU - Corsair TX 950 watts

Please let me know if you have any ideas or require me to run any tests/provide further information.

Cheers, Marcus
2 answers Last reply
More about boot windows video card crash removing
  1. Most likely an overclock problem. Run at stock settings and see if issue is resolved.
  2. cheers, will do
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Boot USB