Sign in with
Your question

Bent pins in the socket of my motherboard.

Last response: in Motherboards
October 16, 2012 7:24:55 AM

Hello, I have had a horrible experience and have bent the pins in the socket where the CPU lays. I have a Asus P9X79 Deluxe mobo and an Intel CPU. What I was wondering....if I can align them back up would it be hazardous to my cpu? Is that even possible?
October 16, 2012 11:10:41 AM

Does the board still boot? Maybe you just bent some grounding pins!

How many pins are bent?

what you can do if the board is really new: Send it to Asus, they can replace the sockets of newer boards for about 60 bucks.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 16, 2012 11:20:51 AM

It is fully possible to realign the pins and obtain a fully functional CPU and motherboard. Even if the pins completely break off, you can try to align them.
As long as there is contact between the CPU and the Socket via the pins, broken or not. It will still remain fully functional.

Here is a video that should prove helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDccsbv5hA
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2012 7:56:22 PM

lukasdesign said:
Does the board still boot? Maybe you just bent some grounding pins!

How many pins are bent?

what you can do if the board is really new: Send it to Asus, they can replace the sockets of newer boards for about 60 bucks.

It still boots and I even ran a game with it. I bent the pins back using a needle and a magnifying glass. Is it true though that you can send it back to Asus. It's a p9x79 deluxe. If that's the case I think I would rather have a professional get it back to the original state it was in rather than to have one pin or two or more eventually short it out or something horrible. I bent about 20 pins but that's a guesstamation.
m
l
October 23, 2012 9:06:27 PM

If its running fine, I'd say your one of the lucky ones to actually have it running after bending that much. But safe is always better then being sorry after, given the price of these boards.
I myself mucked up my first build, while installing cpu, i broke out in a sweat. Then "oops', dropped cpu. I actually used a pin and magnifying glass to straighten them also. I didn't want my GF to know i ruined the 400$ circuit board (rampage III)i just ordered before even powering it on. 9 months later its running fine with a average overclock.
m
l
October 24, 2012 12:16:43 PM

Does anyone know for sure if Asus really will replace the socket if I send it to them? and if so were they happy with the results?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b à CPUs
a c 125 V Motherboard
October 24, 2012 12:56:26 PM

It only costs a phone call to find out.
m
l
November 20, 2012 10:52:49 AM

Just to close this off and let people know what happened. So I called asus they said send it in and if they can fix it they will but it could cost up to $150.00 to fix. Which basically meant that they were willing to fix my board by sending me a refurbished one for 150.00 which is really cheap considering the cost of a brand new Asus P9x79 deluxe. But if they cant fix it due to the warranty limitations on their motherboards saying if you mess up the cpu socket pins your screwed. Well my friends guess what they did. They sent it back fixed free of charge! Wow huh! I couldnt believe it. They replaced the whole cpu socket for free. So asus support get a 10 out of 10 on my scale. Pretty cool huh!
m
l
!