HD 6670: worth the price?

flyagaric

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Right,
So I'm looking for a sub-£65 graphics card that can still run todays games at high settings. I have found out about the HD 6670 on Newegg for £61 with GDDR5, 1gb of memory and a great fan.
I was wondering if the GDDR5 gave a significant difference in performance and of the 512mb version was worth getting instead becasue it is much cheaper.
I want this card to last a few years until I can afford a better one.
Thanks, flyagaric
I shall also link the product for reference:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&Description=hd%206670&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

A lot will depend on the game(s) and the resolution of your monitor. Also, the GDDR5 versions will be visibly better than the DDR3 versions.

My personal suspicion, which I am happily about to test, is that this card can handle many games quite well, BUT, I'm sure that won't include the latest FPS titles, and/or some settings may need to be turned down some (but will still look quite good). I say I'm about to test it, because I just ordered one for my father this week. He won't be bringing his PC to me for another two months, so I'm going to install it myself in the meantime to be sure I don't need to RMA the card. I will make a point of trying to play my games on it, at 1920x1080. I must point out though, that Guild Wars, Sacred 2, and UT2K4 aren't notably demanding, and Civ V can be turned way down and still look decent. I'm not sure about Dragon Age though; we'll see. I am fairly optimistic, because previous tests I did found a HD4670 pretty solid for 1440x900. I plan to post something about it in a week or so (UPS shows "Out for Delivery" today).

flyagaric

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Thanks for the info.
I have a 1650x900 monitor.
BTW I just realised that Newegg does not ship to the UK. Do you know of any companies that do ship to the UK and are still quite cheap?