Sign in with
Your question

No post - a year old build

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2011 1:32:39 PM

So as I was watching my favorite tv show yesterday, when suddenly my monitors went mosaic (everything pixelated like in old hacker movies). I have no beeps in motrher board (ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard) probably because I didin't connect the internal speak (and now lost it, eh..).

Anyway can we rule out possible suspects? When I turn it on all the fans are spinning and I can hear hard drives for a brief moment. Same happens when I unplug video card and memory. After i Disconnect hard drives, probably the same happens except I don't hear the hard drives spinning.

How do I go about it. Probably just buy speaker and see if any error codes beeps?

P.S. at all times motherboard led is green.

My full specs:

1 x Rosewill R223-P-BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
1 x ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
1 x CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
1 x AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX
1 x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH
1 x Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
1 x Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Nothing was overclocked except manually set memory timings (I did a bios reset just in case..)

More about : post year build

September 27, 2011 1:50:57 PM

First thing to do is get a power supply tester and check out your power supply. Chances are it died, hopefully it didn't take anything with it. Iv'e lost one before and the system was ok, and I've lost one where the motherboard died but all else was ok. Since you have a green light on the MB you can hope for the best. But don't give it more juice till you test it or I will turn you in to PETM (People for the Ethical Treatment of Motherboards). :) 
m
l
September 27, 2011 1:57:59 PM

gokanis said:
First thing to do is get a power supply tester and check out your power supply. Chances are it died, hopefully it didn't take anything with it. Iv'e lost one before and the system was ok, and I've lost one where the motherboard died but all else was ok. Since you have a green light on the MB you can hope for the best. But don't give it more juice till you test it or I will turn you in to PETM (People for the Ethical Treatment of Motherboards). :) 

I would have suspected the PSU last, since everything seems to be spinning and lighting up.
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2011 2:19:28 PM

If you had pc speaker, we could know faster what is wrong with your system....

for my part I would try to boot with one Ram at the time,

then try antoher PSU or test it,

If none of this works and the fan of cpu is fine, i would RMA the motherboard: it probably has power regulator problems.

Good luck

m
l
September 27, 2011 3:12:05 PM

Perhaps the problem is that you do not have a GPU?
Jokes aside, that sounds quite a bit like a GPU dying, I hope for you that it isn't, since its usually an expensive piece.
m
l
September 27, 2011 4:09:55 PM

koogco said:
Perhaps the problem is that you do not have a GPU?
Jokes aside, that sounds quite a bit like a GPU dying, I hope for you that it isn't, since its usually an expensive piece.

Oh, its not on the list because I used my previous nvidia for a while and then replaced with XFX 5770 :) 
m
l
September 28, 2011 1:52:53 AM

So it seems one memory stick was at fault. I tried yesterday booting with one stick and it was no luck, but today i tried booting with another one and it posted. no the problem is that I get 0X00...00A bsod with "good" memory stick in 1st slot, but everything fine with 2nd slot. so probably motherboard is at fault too? I will try to run mem test twice. once in 1st slot once in 2nd slot. so if I get errors in first means mobo goes too?
m
l
!