Sign in with
Your question

Help with major AMD 6870 problems

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2011 2:21:18 PM

In the BIOS, there are blue bars going across the screen. When it boots to windows, everything's screwed up. The windows are split across the screen, the display is oddly colored and fuzzy, and windows crashes rather quickly with a very hard to read "Driver Display" problem or something.

Specs:
AMD x4 955 BE (Had a bent pin on the edge I unbent, I doubt this was the problem though)
Asus 990x EVO mobo
8 gigs Patriot memory, if you need me to be more specific, tell me
2 500gb hdd
Sapphire HD6870 Video card, which is what I suspect to be the problem

Any help I can get as soon as possible would be great, I've only had this since friday, and it worked fine up until last night. I sadly do not have another graphics card to try. However, since there's a problem in the BIOS, I'm sure it's a hardware and not a software problem.

Thank you for your help!
-Theo

Oops, forgot the power supply. It's a Seasonic 520w
Newegg.com - SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

And the video card link
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

and the memory
Newegg.com - Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PGD38G1333ELK
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2011 3:55:52 PM

How many times are you going to post this today, you'll get banned for that.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2011 4:33:04 PM

Take out the GPU and run integrated graphics if your motherboard has it (the older AMD boards all do, but I'm not familiar with the new ones). That should isolate the problem.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 27, 2011 4:34:04 PM

Also, try reseating the graphics card - take it out and put it in all the way (you should hear one or two clicks).
September 27, 2011 11:45:52 PM

geekapproved said:
How many times are you going to post this today, you'll get banned for that.

Only once in graphics, and once in builds, because I was unsure where to post it.
September 27, 2011 11:46:28 PM

boiler1990 said:
Also, try reseating the graphics card - take it out and put it in all the way (you should hear one or two clicks).

I don't have integrated graphics or another video card to try, sadly enough.
I am not overclocking anything, and it just randomly started happening mid-game in MW2. Now that I've taken the PC apart, I see that there's a red light next to the processor, named "CPU light" . I couldn't find anything in the motherboard's instructions about it. I already have Newegg sending me a new graphics card. Advice?
September 27, 2011 11:54:29 PM

generally graphical distortion at a bios level is either RAM or Video card.

so try removing sticks of ram and trying a diff card. or ur card in a diff pc.

i could also be worth looking at a more powerfull PSU as your cutting it close with a 520w PSU
!