Sign in with
Your question

Should I change my power supply

Last response: in Components
December 29, 2011 2:10:43 AM

I had built a machine awhile back, i have a Lian Li case, the processor is Intel Q6600 2.40 ghz with 8GB DDR2 ram. The motherboard is Asus P5n-D and the video card is PNY GeForce GTS 250. This machine has always been loud as h*ll.....When I built this machine, a friend of mine suggested a Corsair TX750W power supply. To be honest, I will never claim to be an expert on hardware, but not sure if this is overkill? the machine is loud to the point that its annoying. If it's a great power supply, I'll leave it but if someone has a better recommendation, I'd like to hear it. I guess it could also be the fan on this Lian Li case?

More about : change power supply

a c 274 ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 2:26:49 AM

Electrically the Corsair TX750W is known as a loud unit.
Good psu but it has that flaw.
You could pin-point the noise by unplugging the case fans to isolate the culprit.
m
l
December 29, 2011 2:31:32 AM

Any recommendations on what I should replace it with? Is 750W really needed? I have a Dell XPS 420 which has the same exact CPU and that's a 375w power supply. Now this second machine does have double the memory and that video card, but not sure how much is needed

It's a tower case, I'm not sure what model lian li it is though
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2011 2:34:26 AM

I guess maybe I should take out the video card and disconnect the case fan to see if that makes a difference. Maybe it's not the psu at all, but I'm pretty sure it was loud before I put this video card in

The graphics card says you should have at least a 450W or greater psu....but I don't know if that means 500 would be good, or if I should stick with 750 but a quiet one. I like them as green as possible
m
l
a c 80 ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 2:45:41 AM

You can aleays get a fan controller to use on the case fans and lower the speeds a little. The 750w is more than enough for what you have and I would never recomend replacing a psu with a lower watts one but if the noise is that bad then maybe that is what you want to do. You could always see if the fan is replaceable , maybe see if all it takes is unscrewing a coulple of screws.

SILVERSTONE Strider Essential series ST60F-ES 600W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$69.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This one says it has an ultra quiet fan.

SILVERSTONE Strider Essential series ST70F-ES 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
$84.99

Same for this one.
m
l
December 29, 2011 2:51:47 AM

nice recommendations. I'll check those out. Thanks!
m
l
a c 87 ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 2:54:26 AM

I prefer to stop the fans one by one with a pencil or other such thing. When the loud noise goes away, that's the fan you need to work ok.
m
l
December 29, 2011 3:01:59 AM

that's a good idea...is that safe?
m
l
December 29, 2011 3:30:46 AM

Surprisingly, I never had an OS on this machine. It was used for other purposes... I just installed windows 7 and as it completed the installation, the pc got really quiet and stayed that way...I never heard it sound so low hahaha....I'm going to play around with the different fans.

A stupid question, but is it really using 750W or only if I max it out? I never really thought about that before until now. I guess what I mean is, if hardware is identical in two computers, will a 500w psu use less amps than this 750? Probably a real dumb question
m
l
a c 274 ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 3:49:18 AM

Doesn't matter what wattage the psu is,as long as it's enough for your hardware.
The psu will only supply the power required by your components.
Some units do that more efficiently then others,hence 80+ ratings.
m
l
a c 80 ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 4:04:59 AM

The components inside of your computer will only use what ever power they need and when you are doing something like gaming or other stressful things then components like the video card are going to use more power and that is why it's always good to have too much than too little or just enough. So having a 500w means there is less spare power in case you need it and having a 750w means you will always have enough untill you add more components or change to higher performing parts.
m
l
a c 1195 ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 4:05:34 AM

marknashe said:
Surprisingly, I never had an OS on this machine. It was used for other purposes... I just installed windows 7 and as it completed the installation, the pc got really quiet and stayed that way...I never heard it sound so low hahaha....I'm going to play around with the different fans.

A stupid question, but is it really using 750W or only if I max it out? I never really thought about that before until now. I guess what I mean is, if hardware is identical in two computers, will a 500w psu use less amps than this 750? Probably a real dumb question

When you installed Windows 7 and when the graphics card driver was loaded during OS boot up that's when the graphics card's fan speed was lowered to its idle operating speed (i.e. approx. 37% of full speed). That's normal with those older NVIDIA GPUs.

Your system is drawing less than 300 Watts from that power supply unit. The power supply only provides as much power as needed by the system. It's never providing 750 Watts all of the time.

"if hardware is identical in two computers, will a 500w psu use less amps than this 750?" Not necessarily. If the 500 Watt PSU is inefficient it will actually consume more AC power from the wall outlet to provide the DC power required by the system. This where the 80 PLUS energy efficiency certification will determine if more power or less power will be consumed.
m
l
a c 87 ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 4:45:42 AM

As for stopping the fans, it's safe as long as you stop it for only a few seconds. Don't stop a fan permanently as you can cause something to heat up. I've found many a dying fan this way. Its useful if you have a case with many fans and you don't know which one is being the trouble maker.
m
l
December 29, 2011 6:29:38 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies. It wasn't the PSU at all, it was the PNY GeForce GTS 250. I used the pencil trick to stop the fan from going when I powered on the machine and the noise was gone. The 750 PSU is a little noisy, but nothing like that the video card. Once the system is idle, the noise stays away.

I like the 80 Plus bronze thought. Is it worth the 70-90 bucks to switch it?

Is there a better video card that you guys recommend? I'm not using it for gaming, just something that will be good for videos. I could post this question in the video card section if needed.
m
l
a c 87 ) Power supply
December 30, 2011 12:04:49 AM

What's the budget for the PSU?

If you just need something for videos, just about any video card will do. Look for a cheap AMD 64xx or 65xx card on newegg.
m
l
a c 80 ) Power supply
December 30, 2011 1:17:48 AM

The video card that you have is a decent card and if all you want to do is watch video's then it will be good enough. However if you just want to get a new card then to be worth doing you should go up a few levels and this card is what would be a good choice.

ASUS ENGTX560 DC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$194.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $174.99

The new card comes with a price and you may or may not want to spend that much but this would be a better video card than the one you now have.
m
l
December 30, 2011 2:07:51 AM

4745454b said:
What's the budget for the PSU?

If you just need something for videos, just about any video card will do. Look for a cheap AMD 64xx or 65xx card on newegg.

Havent thought of a budget yet for a PSU.

Besides the noise, the only other reason I'd get a new video card is because I have a Dell XPS 420 that has a nVidia GeForce 8800GT in it and I feel that computer has far superior display. Now I know nothing about video cards, so maybe its known that thats a better video card
m
l
December 30, 2011 2:08:49 AM

inzone said:
The video card that you have is a decent card and if all you want to do is watch video's then it will be good enough. However if you just want to get a new card then to be worth doing you should go up a few levels and this card is what would be a good choice.

ASUS ENGTX560 DC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$194.99 and a $20 rebate makes it $174.99

The new card comes with a price and you may or may not want to spend that much but this would be a better video card than the one you now have.

That does seem like a sweet card, but for the price, I feel like I should probably be running something better than a Q6600 lol
m
l
a c 80 ) Power supply
December 30, 2011 2:29:33 AM

With a LGA 775 socket motherboard you don't have many options other than doing a complete overhaul. The cpu that you do have is a quad core which is a good thing and with a mild overclock you could get close to 3.0ghz and then the new video card would be just fine. You would then have a nice upgrade with a noticable increase in performance and picture quality. However the final choice is yours to make .
m
l
a c 87 ) Power supply
December 30, 2011 2:33:33 AM

There is no reason to get a GTX560 if you're only watching stuff. Seriously, either stay with your GTS250, or just get a cheap 54xx, 65xx, or GT430. Get the GT430 if you want a 3D display. GTX560TI just for watching videos??? Crazy what some people think....
m
l
December 30, 2011 2:42:27 AM

4745454b said:
There is no reason to get a GTX560 if you're only watching stuff. Seriously, either stay with your GTS250, or just get a cheap 54xx, 65xx, or GT430. Get the GT430 if you want a 3D display. GTX560TI just for watching videos??? Crazy what some people think....

lol thanks
m
l
December 30, 2011 2:43:42 AM

inzone said:
With a LGA 775 socket motherboard you don't have many options other than doing a complete overhaul. The cpu that you do have is a quad core which is a good thing and with a mild overclock you could get close to 3.0ghz and then the new video card would be just fine. You would then have a nice upgrade with a noticable increase in performance and picture quality. However the final choice is yours to make .

I know what you mean. If I could sell this box, or even this motherboard/cpu, then I'd do the overhaul, but it's pretty solid as is.
m
l
!