Mobo/cpu/memory upgrade--

LML

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
Hello!

I am about to upgrade my mobo, cpu and memory on my desktop in hopes of getting faster 3D rendering and video rendering--I plan to get the i7-2600K CPU, and I would love to get some suggestions on both motherboard and ram that will work well with what I already have, and the Intel CPU.

I don't plan to overclock immediately, but won't rule it out for the future (it's a little over my head now)

what I currently have to work with:

EVGA GTX260 --graphics processor
WD 640 GB --Hard Drive
ANTEC EA650 RT --Power Supply
ANTEC three hundred -- Case

Also, if you see any conflicts with my old equipment with the new, please let me know--

Thanks very much!

LML

Solution
I would definitely get a Z68 board - if you do any video transcoding, it'll help immensely. As far as GPUs go I'm not sure what is optimal for rendering, and that'll affect your power supply choice as well.

How much are you looking to spend?
I would definitely get a Z68 board - if you do any video transcoding, it'll help immensely. As far as GPUs go I'm not sure what is optimal for rendering, and that'll affect your power supply choice as well.

How much are you looking to spend?

Solution

LML

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
thanks boiler;

so I am looking to spend $500-$750 or so

I have a power supply already (see original post) that I'm trying to hang on to if at all possible...

With a 650W you could run a 560Ti/6950 with comfortable headroom. It technically has enough wattage to run 2x560Ti/6950 but you'd be stressing the PSU a bit too much to be healthy. Like I said before, I don't know which cards are best for what you're trying to do.

Other than that you should be good with the new CPU/Mobo/GPU/RAM.

LML

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
I'm really trying to limit upgrades to just the cpu/mobo/memory

you've suggested graphics card, but I'm probably not able to do that now

I really just need a solid suggestion for mobo and memory to partner with the i7 2600K....

glarimore

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
I don't know your application (for gaming, video editing, etc.), but, unless you're video editing or doing other rendering of some sort, I would HIGHLY recommend grabbing a 2500k instead of a 2600k. These two CPUs bench very similarly, but the 2600k costs 100 dollars more! With both of these CPU's, I'd recommend buying a Hyper212 Plus CPU cooler and overclocking. Even if you are a total noob, OCing with the 2500k and 2600k is a cake-walk -- much simpler than the fine-tuning of FSB, memory speed/timings, and voltages that were required in the Pentium 4 era.

I will echo boiler1990's post and recommend that you get a Z68 board -- the Z68 chipset is the latest and greatest.

Without knowing how many/what type of external peripherals (mice, mics, keyboard, external HD, printers, etc.) and internal drives (optical and storage), it's hard for anyone to make a recommendation on a particular board. they all have their ups and their downs, and if you buy one that is just for your needs, you can get what that suits you well and isn't terribly expensive.

If you can provide some more info on what you plan to hook into to your computer long-term and what you plan to use it for primarily, we can give you better advice. =)

LML

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2009
you guys are awesome!

so I'm using this setup for video editing and rendering (i.e. premiere and after effects) as well as for 3D rendering (i.e. maya and vray)

I don't plan to ever hook up any extra or out of the ordinary peripherals--just the basics (keyboard, mouse, speakers--that's about it), an external HD (USB) will probably get me any extra storage I need.

internally, I will likely just have the one HD and one optical drive;

I would like to try overclocking someday, but not right off the bat--looking to just plug everything in and go--and I would like to use as much of my old stuff as possible (see original post for those specs)

the i7-2600K is the CPU I'm likely getting; and now I have some recommendations on a board as well; but still, I'm not really savvy on memory speeds, and I could use some advice there. Does anyone have a specific board + memory recommendation for me, assuming the new CPU I'm getting? looking to spend $500+

thanks again! I'm always impressed with the help I get in this forum

LML

As far as RAM goes, you'll be fine with any 1.5V DDR3-1600 2x4GB kit (8GB) since it's the most cost effective (~$50). G.Skill is a good, less expensive brand that performs well, and Kingston is also good and is having a sale on newegg, but make sure you're not getting a 1.65V kit; get 1.5V.