Stuttering in games, specifically LoL and BC2

poseign

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Wicked sry because this post is HUGE but I want to give as much data as possible.

I have an issue with my New PC that has eluded me for a month now. I will try to be as detailed to my problem as i can be. Any type of feedback is welcome.

I am experiencing a stutter in some games that run fine on a previous computer build that I still have. The stutter also seems to effect video playback, however that may just be my imagination running wild over this issue.

The video stutter is like a frame skip, nothing "freezes" per say, but game play is not completely smooth either. This league of legends video on youtube is a good example of what I'm experiencing, even though this video is from a year ago:

HERE
In specific, the stutter at 0:11 seconds is very close to my issue, however my issue is more like a complete frame skip than it is a jump back like that example.

This occurs occasionally throughout the game, but becomes very pronounced during team fights, when there's a lot of action going on in game. My previous computer had no stutters like this whatsoever.

In Bad Company 2, the stutters are a LOT worse. I couldn't find a decent example, but imagine looking directly at an object (lets say a quadbike) and strafing around it in full circles while keeping your veiw on the quadbike, and seeing the type of mocrostutter shown above multiplied by about 10 times a second, and thats what Im seeing in BC2. (LOL I applaud you if you are still with me after that description)

In BC2, the issue is persistent in both single and multiplayer, however its not as bad in singleplayer. The interesting part is the issue does not present itself unless the mouse is moved to look around. Moving around without touching the mouse is substantially smoother. I should also note that BC2 was never played on the old rig, but I intend on installing it tonight to test as a control since I know this game has known issues with 4xx and 5xx series nVidia cards. <-- form what I've seen and read, the known bc2 issues are different from what I'm experiencing, and I would actually welcome that compared to this.

Finally, the last game I've gotten around to test is FarCry2. This is somewhat of a wildcard. Running FC2 in DX10 mode produces stuttering, but no where near as bad as bad company 2. However, if run in Dx9 mode, no stuttering at all. Nothing. Butter smooth. FC2 does have a known issue with frame rendering under dx10, and without going into too much detail there is a work around for it. It should suffice to say I have tried the dx10 workaround and it did not work. Issues did not seem to occur on my older rig at all.

I should also point out that no matter how much my video stutters, my audio NEVER does.

SYSTEM SPECS (NEW SYSTEM):
ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe mobo
i7 2600k processor
COOLERMASTER V8
G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz
GeForce GTX580 sc 1.5gb model
CRUCIAL M4 64gb SSD (boot)
1TB WDC 7200rpm (programs/data in 2 separate partitions)
COOLERMASTER 80 Plus Silent Pro GOLD 1200watt Power supply
onboard sound
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Temps:
CPU tops out around 68 C under 3 hrs full prime95 load at 4.45ghz overclocked
GTX580 I've seen no higher than 79 C and that was under BC2

What I've tried:
All games on both stock volatages and clocks and overclocks
all sorts of tinkering within each individual game
applying settings under nvidia cp
adjusting refresh rates through nvidia cp
Reinstalling/Rolling back nvidia drivers
Updating NIC drivers
Trying both internal NICs
windows restore operations
removing HD Audio drivers
Disabling audio
overvolting RAM
Trying One RAM stick at a time
Swapping RAM
Swapping GPU

What I'm in the process of trying (at work atm not home to finish it)
Installing Windows Vista on a new partition the 1TB drive to rule out OS problems and/or SSD issues
Swapping the PSU

OLD RIG (Listing so you can see the parts I'm swapping out with)
EVGA 790i Ultra Mobo
Intel Core2Quad Q9550 @ 2.8ghz
4gb OCZ SLI Ready 1888mhz RAM
SLI Geforce GTX 260 sc
350gb WDC 7200rpm HDD
Silverstone 1200watt power supply
onboard sound
Windows Vista x86 Ultimate

I know this post was rediculously long, but thank you for reading, and please, anything to add right now would be beneficial.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Oh please tell me u found the cause.... I'm having the same problem on my build..

Are u using HDTV or monitor? If so what kind? Do you have Vsync enabled? Does it still have stuttering when disabled? What framerate are u getting when u see the stuttering. My stuttering only happens when my FPS goes below 60 with sync enabled. Try to see if u lower ur graphic settings to have your framerate max your monitors Hz rate with Vsync enabled, and if issue persists? My stuttering did not persist at max rate. If it does the same we have the same issue to help locate the problem.

HERE IS MY THREAD POSTED EARLIER:

My build
-CPU- i5 2500k OC @ 4.4GHz
-Cooler- CM Hyper 212
-Motherboard- Asus-Z68-Pro
-RAM- G.Skill DDR3 1600 CL8 1.5v
-GPU-EVGA GTX 590 Classified (factory Overclocked) 
-Samsung F4 2tb HDD (will buy SSD soon)
-PSU-Corsair 1050 watt Professional Series 
-Case-Cooler Master HAF X

So I built my PC about a month ago and lovin it. I have the GTX 590 so most of my games run well above 60 FPS which is my 1920x1080 monitors limit.

A couple games that really push the GPU like Crysis 2, Metro, & Witcher 2 all at max setting I have a problem with.
(During games running FRAPS to see fps) when my rate during play onscreen is maxed at 60fps everything is smooth as butter during movement. But when framerate drops below 60 I get some bad stuttering, very noticeable when panning slowly left or right. Now this happens right below 60, I mean 59fps I get this stutter effect.

Its not screen tearing, there is no screen cut lines or polygon misinformation, i do get screen tearing when Vsync is off, so I know what that looks like. Could this be microstutter? It does sound like it because it looks like it skips some frames what causes the jutter effect. If so why would i get it @59FPS and not @ 60fps when it's smooth as butter? Please help, it's very annoying. Thanks.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
And that rules out SLI microstutter from my GTX 590 because u have a single GPU. I'm calling EVGA tomorrow. I let you know if I have any advances.

Lol, my post was almost as long as yours.

poseign

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I have not found a solution to this issue yet. It does seem like our issue may be similar, however I believe my stuttering persists even over 60 Fps. It does not seem to be related to vsync, as it occurs regardless of whether or not vsync is on. I do know the difference between tearing and stutter.

I have tried both an HDMI out from the 580 to the monitor and a DVI-out. Im using an ASUS mk221h 22 inch monitor. I've also got a secondary synaps 20inch monitor attached, and I have tried ALL different configurations of one at a time, and both at once to no avail. I have tried an alternate power supply as well. All to no avail. I am at the point where i am RMAing my ASUS motherboard to rule that out as a probable cause. Next would be the processor, which Im REALLY hoping it doesnt come to that because it would require BUYING a new one as im out of my RMA period.

I will add that I have recently noticed some strange readings on my voltages that may be connected. I run AI SUITE II that came with my motherboard on the driver disk on startup. Occasionally the VCORE and 12v rail voltages will fluctuate out of parameters far enough that AISUITE will pop up a warning about the fluctuated voltage. Ive seen the vcore apike (for a split second) to 2.0v while the 12v rail willl drop right down to 0.00 volts. I partially believe false readings are to blame, as I dont see the computer remaining on through the 12v drop, but who knows.

Im REALLY praying that the motherboard swap is going to solve both these issues, because ASUS tech support isnt exactly top notch.

poseign

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

Didnt even notice you are using the ASUS Z68-PRO. Out of curiosity, which revision and bios version are u using? Revision Number, if you dont know, will be located right after "P8Z68-Pro" on the motherboard. Took me a while to find it myself. I am using revision 1.00.

I am wondering if this is an issue with these boards in specific. I havent heard anything on the asus forums or the newegg comment list about this issue with this board, but maybe it has something to do with the combo of components, as your build is very similar to mine, but I have the CL 7 Gskill RAM.

And I hate to smile at your misfortunes, but I am VERY glad that I'm not the only one that seems to be having this exact issue :p

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Well I checked again and I do have stuttering with Vsync off, but its not noticeable until FPS drops to 40s or below. While when Vsync on, stuttering is at 50s fps and below.

What Hz monitor do u have? The only thing I have to go on is stuttering stops when Vsync is on and FPS is max and of my monitor, which is 60fps. Have u tried that?

This is what my stuttering looks like. U?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgM2O8Ci4SU&feature=related

poseign

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I have a 60hz monitor, windows 7 picks it up as 59hz. there is a workaround through the nvidia control panel to make it shop up as 60, however I have tried that to no avail. Again, I have tried in windows VISTA as well, and vista shows screen refresh at 60hz, same issue.

I just watched your video. It nails my issue on the head, right down to the main game ur using to test. I have had this stutter at 130fps in BC2, its just harder to see with the screen tear.

My first post highlights a league of legends video of stutter, at 12 seconds is the type of stutter i get in LoL.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

That was someone else's video but it's exactly the stutter I'm seeing. I have the GTX 590 so not many games go below 60fps. Crysis 2, Witcher2, Metro 2033 all hover around 60fps it's butter smooth at 60, then choppy when in 50s that looks like FPS in the teens. Other games I disable my sli to achieve 50s FPS and same stutter.

I talked to someone else who had same stutter issue. He had the GTX 580. He tried everything in the book also to fix it. He finally RMA his video card and the new one fixed the problem. So I RMA my 590. Should take @ a week. Keeping my fingers crossed.

poseign

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Ya, hopefully man. I swapped my gpu out with a gtx 260 I had from an old build and that didnt solve my issue, so that ruled out GPU for me. Let me know how you make out with the GPU swap, I'll try to keep you posted when this new motherboard arrives.

poseign

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I did the motherboard swap with another ASUS p8z68 Deluxe motherboard and the issue is STILL persisting. I'm wondering if it's an issue with the asus boards in general. Right now I am at a complete loss. I have no clue whatsoever what is causing this. How has your GFX card swap gone?

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Not good. Nothing helped yet. My list so far.

- Vsync off, still stutter but less often, not noticeable until 45 FPS and below
-reset all components to stock speeds and settings
- tried different input cables hdmi, VGA
- tried different 60 Hz monitors
- installed and tested all previous drivers for the 590. Including 285beta
- stress and tested each component via 3dMark. Everything scored above Average
-  setting Force Vsync on/off
-Power management mode to Prefer Maximum Performance/default
-Maximum pre-rendered frames at 0- 5
- disabled SLI  to run only one GPU to rule out SLI microstutter. Adjusted graphic setting to get 50s FPS. Still stutters

- download EVGA sli enhancement patch 

- tested with AMD 6990 in my PC. Same stutter
-tried GTX 560 Ti
- tested memtest- passed x4

- bought SSD put clean install of OS &  Essentials only
- above install Inculded reset of CMOS
- tried on windows 8 OS

poseign

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
I really do seriously wonder if the ASUS mobo in general is to blame. It's the only other thing to make sense to me. I'm considering throwing in the towel and dishing out another 250 bucks for the new MSI Z68 mobo with PCI-E 3.0 support to see if that solves it. However I will NOT be happy if it comes to that.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Do you have a Frys close to you? The Frys close to me has a 14 day return policy with no restocking fees. That's how I tested the 6690 & 560. Motherboard can be a possible cause. The EVGA manager suggested it could be a ram issue. It passed memtest.org for ram, but I was planning to try a switch of ram with the highest frequency and least latency.

This problem is like a thorn in my foot that I can't get out. Bugs the hell out of me. I need to fix this crap before BF3 release.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Hey I read another forum that stated turning off hyper-threading on his i7 helped his gaming stutter. Try it out if u haven't already.

poseign

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

I do not have a Fry's Close to me unfortunately. I do have a computer store however they were recently hit in a local flood and are closed down. And I completely agree with you about being a thorn, and needing to fix before BF3.

By any chance did you play the Beta? I had the stuttering problem while in the outdoors areas of the map but it actually seemed to go away when in the tunnels o_O?

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Ya beta was awesome!

Hmm. So your stutter went away inside. Inside gets much faster framerate than outside. So you were probably getting @60fps inside with the 580. I was getting @ 60fps outside and @ 90-100 inside tunnel on highest settings with my 590. And for me 60fps with Vsync on plays perfectly smooth.

So your stutter is framerate related like mine. Does your stutter get worse at different framerates? My stutter seems minimal with fps at high 50s and worse in the low 50s & 40s.

Did Asus have any thoughts about the stuttering?

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Damn I just saw u already tried swapping ram. There goes my idea for that. Ok I'm calling Asus later today @ mobo. Only thing mobo swaps are PIA!

poseign

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

Yes, they are. I was not fond of doing it last night, especially after it had no effect on my issue. If you try the RMA process, I hope you have better luck.

I would have to double check my frame rates to ensure that they were indeed above 60 inside the substation and before that outside, but not very possible now that the beta is over. It does seem related, however changing graphics settings doesn't fix the issue. Theres still just as much chop in outdoor settings as there is with graphics cranked.

It also didnt seem like vsync was working for me in the beta. regardless of whether I had vsync on or not my frame rates were all over the place. they would drop as low as 30 and get as high as 80 or 90 in some areas.

I feel like something is being overlooked, but I dont think Ive overlooked anything. I have seen a few posts by some people who say a 120hz monitor solves their problems because then they do not need to use vsync. Have you tried a 120hz monitor at all? Would you have access to one?

Also, if Fry's allows you to return with no restocking fee, you should try picking up a different model high-end mobo from them. Try going with ASRock or MSI, something other than ASUS, with the same cpu socket, and see if that works. Nothing to lose if you are going to go with the RMA process and have to swap motherboards anyway.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
I read the settings in the beta were not working properly. Vsync would only kick in every once in a while for me, most of the time my FPS were well above a Vsync's regulated 60fps. And ultra setting would not work at all until game release.

No I don't have access to 120hz monitor, but I will have to put that on my to-do list if nothing else works.

I will go ahead and try a different brand motherboard. You might be on to something. Im working the rest of this week & weekend and won't be able to switch out and test until next week. I'll keep you updated.

poseign

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Thank you, I would really appreciate that. If the swap would in fact fix this issue i would do it without much thought at this point.

Lets also take a few minutes to go over where exactly the stutter is occurring again. If you could, list all games you have tried.

For me, the list is rather short but has worked on a previous build:

- League of legends - mainly during team battles where lots of attacks are taking place

- Battlefield Bad Company 2 - while moving mouse to look around is when its most prominent

- Battlefield 3: Same as BC2, however stutter is minimized indoors.

Far Cry 2: only stutters when in dx10 mode, not in dx9 mode, however this is a known issue with the game itself. tested in single player but not multiplayer.

And now one game that hasnt given me any stutter at all under vsync: Star Trek Online. Butter smooth, however, I have not tested this under heavy fleet engagements either, as I only did a trial of the game.

poseign

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

This is actually the next thing that I have suggested to Swolern. Another model but not necessarily another chipset just yet as he has a store close to him that makes component swapping a lot easier than an RMA process.