I7-3930k maximum memory support ?

CYT

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Has anyone used the latest i7-3930k or i7-3960x processor yet. The x79 motherboards that support these processors such as from Asus and Gigabyte have 8 dimms of memory slots that are capable of supporting up to 64gb ram. But from intel specification, these CPUs only support up to 32gb ram only. If I were to install 64gb ram on the asus rampage extreme iv motherboard (which states it can support 64gb ram), will the win 7 x64 os use all 64gb of ram for my software, or rather it will be limited to 32gb ram only by the processor. I have searched thru the internet for answers but have not come to a definite conclusion that x64 bit software can use up to 64gb ram using this processor. I have talked to intel support center, the support chap says it is limited to 32gb ram. One cannot use more than 32gb by the processor. However, there is this online computer seller on the web http://www.titanuscomputers.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=X195 that offers system based on i7-3930k that allow one to customize it to use up to 64gb ram. So I'm rather confused now. Is the intel support chap correct that it is limited to 32gb ram, or that it really can use 64gb ram by the x64 win 7 os for my memory-intensive program.

Anyone who has any idea or using the latest lga2011 processor, kindly give your valuable comments on this before I build my workstation. My primary function is to run memory-intensive software that will easily use up to 48gb ram in one analysis case, and at the same time using it for gaming purpose as well. Thanks. The xeon-based workstation is too expensive.

CYT

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011

Thanks for your reply. By the way, have you used the lga2011 processor and tested it yourself. I have talked twice to intel support center, one chap says it is 32gb ram only as it is the limit for the processor while another chap says it will support 64gb but it will only process 32gb data set one at a time only, while the remaining 32gb will be sort of queued up for later processing. So I end up puzzling as to whether which chap is correct. I'm still waiting reply from ASUS as to whether they have tested their x79 rampage extreme iv motherboard can really use up to 64gb ram with the i7-3000s series processor, that eventually allow memory-intensive x64 bit software to work with large data set exceeding 32gb. I'm keeping my fingers across.

TRENDING THREADS