Laptop runs faster than superior PC

bradmeyer

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
My laptop, which is inferior in specifications to my PC, and my sister's PC, runs faster than both of them. The laptop is very snappy, loads up fast, and handles my tasks with ease; however, on the PC, I always get small delays in actions that are not present on my laptop. When I use my laptop and perform an action, something opens instantly, with no delay. ... The delays on the PC are typically a second, or 1-2 seconds, although occasionally there is a delay of 30-60 seconds, or even 5 minutes, in which practically everything else becomes unresponsive and "hung up." The occurs during simple computer tasks such as file operations, clicking the double-arrow for the Quick Launch bar, ... The major delays are not present on my sister's PC, although it still runs akin to my own PC, which runs slower than my laptop.

On my PC (which is free of viruses and worms), my BIOS, motherboard drivers, graphics drivers, OS, are all up to date. CPU idles at 1%, and there are no major users of memory (Task Manager). HDD tests yield no abnormality or erring sectors. I tested the RAM with memtest86; I tried overclocking the processor, the RAM; nothing seems to help in these delays, and it's incredible that my laptop is faster than my PC.

The specifications for it are: W-Vista 64-bit (pre-built); E8400 @3gHz; GTX 260; 4 gb DDR2-800 RAM Mushkin; 500gb Hitachi; all stock. And my laptop: Toshiba L505; W-7 32-bit; Core 2 Duo T6500; 3gb DDR2-800 RAM; 320gb HD; also all stock.