Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Recent video display problems with 4 month build

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2011 10:10:38 PM

I recently built my first custom PC, (every component is new except for a fan, the nVidia 8800GT video card, and my two hard drives). It has been working fine until Tuesday morning when the screen started to flicker a transparent pink hue. The screen had this transparent pink hue for maybe 1 minute or two, and then it would return to normal. But occasionally it would flicker the pink hue. Hours later, the problem didn't occur again. I shut it down properly.

Then around 9 pm, I turned my PC on, and immediately it made 4 consecutive beeps. I turned on my TV; which I use double as a PC monitor, and the video display input said, "No video connection detected." I couldn't solve the problem so I did a force shutdown, waited for the PC to cool down before I opened the case. I double check to see if all of the cable wiring was properly secured and they were. I took out the nVidia 8800GT, double check for any visual signs to see if there was recent damage, and there were none. So I placed the video card back in, and reattached all the correct cables and turned on the PC. Again the PC made the 4 consecutive beeps, and nothing was displayed on the screen. Everything else in the PC was running fine, the green indication light was on, the fans and PSU were running as usual. The TV still works for watching channels, movies, and console gaming.

My guess is that my video card has malfunctioned, and I need a new video card.. or could it be another problem?

PC specs:

Case - AZZA Hurrican 2000 (It has 9 fans)
CPU - Intel i5-2500K
CPU Heatsink Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Mobo - AsROCK P67 Extreme 4
RAM - 8 GB (4GB x 2) Corsair Vengeance 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
GPU - PNY nVidia 8800 GT
HDD - 160 GB + 250 GB
OS - Windows 7 64-bit
PSU - Antec HCG 900

Thanks for the help in advance. I appreciate it.

EDIT: I reopened the case and on further inspection, the motherboard's LED number count shows numbers like 32, 64, 98, and at the end d6. During that time, it makes the 4 consecutive beeps. It's shown in the video.

Here's a youtube link to what it looks and sounds like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UN5sPgwumU

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 8:19:31 AM

I don't have this mobo myself, but I think the beeps are simply one for every USB device connected (i.e. nothing to do with your GPU). If you pull one of your USB devices out, you should get three beeps.

As for your problem, it does sound to me that your GPU might be toast. A good idea would be to test it in another system.
July 28, 2011 4:19:10 PM

A friend recommended that I try switching the RAM and GPU to another slot, and it works now. It makes me curious to why it happened. Anyway thanks for your reply to my problem!
Score
Related resources
July 28, 2011 4:19:22 PM

Best answer selected by fpsgamer_10.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 4:20:33 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!