Sign in with
Your question

Is now a good time to consider a 1080p 3D monitor + NVIDIA 3D Vision?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 27, 2011 10:24:06 PM

I am using: i7 2600K @ 4.4ghz, 16GB RAM, 2x GTX 560ti

Displays: Dell U2711 & Samsung 245B

I mostly use my system for multimedia work (this is why I need the RAM). I am a big gamer though. I am considering a new 3D monitor for four reasons:

1) They seem to have amazing response times

2)
I can use three displays for surround gaming

3) possibilty that the input lag will be low enough to finally replace the 28" CRT (yup) I currently use to play competitively on the Xbox 360!

4) finally hop on the 3D bandwagon, I love 3D and 3D gaming seems to be highly recommended by those who have tried it

QUESTIONS!

1) Do the best 120HZ 3D monitors have significantly lower input lag than 60HZ ones for games like guitar hero/FPS/street fighter? I own a good 42" LED 1080P TV yet I play Halo Reach on my 10 year old 28" CRT because I value the lower input lag this much. I would love to play my Xbox 360 in HD while still having the competitive edge of a low lag display.

2)
3D displays like the Samsung SM2233RZ have been around for a while so I sense there may be a new wave coming soon... is now a good time to invest in a 3D monitor or should I wait a year or two? For reference I have no problem with using 3D vision glasses and I am a big fan of 3D.

3) Say my budget was around £500 (glasses/display) what would you recommend?

for reference I plan on using the 3D monitor, Dell U2711 and Samsung 245B all at 60Hz/1920x1080 for my surround gaming configuration. I don't suppose this will cause any issues other than misaligned bezels/colour calibrations etc.
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
July 28, 2011 4:01:22 AM

Just FYI I couldn't get Nvidia surround to enable on 3 different brand displays even though they were the same resolution and frequency, but it's been a while since I tried it, but I remember a tom's review saying the same thing, that you pretty much have to have 3 identical displays to guarantee it will work.

Related resources
a b C Monitor
July 28, 2011 4:12:12 AM

benski said:
Just FYI I couldn't get Nvidia surround to enable on 3 different brand displays even though they were the same resolution and frequency, but it's been a while since I tried it, but I remember a tom's review saying the same thing, that you pretty much have to have 3 identical displays to guarantee it will work.

You must need 3 identical to work together for amazing gaming/videos... 2 Different monitor will cause it to look different from another... a 3MS and a 2MS will be a huge different and goes the same to 60Hz and 120Hz as well as LED and Non-LED(Just color but it still annoying)... 3D does not matters if you aren't Doing in 3D mode...
a c 333 Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
July 28, 2011 4:32:09 AM

3D Vision requires 120 Hz monitors. Three monitors for surround requires two GTX 560 Ti's in SLI.
a c 80 Î Nvidia
a c 123 C Monitor
July 28, 2011 4:36:53 AM

I'm fairly new to 3D gaming myself. I have had mine for about 3-4 weeks now. I was quite surprised at how good 3D is for gaming. I was underwhelmed by the 3D movie side of things however.

Not all games work well with 3D, but I was surprised at just how many do work very well with it, but sometimes I have to use the Dx9 or Dx10 version of the game instead of the Dx11 version for it to work well and make sure you learn how to adjust the depth and conversion settings. Without those settings turned up a little, everything appears a lot flatter.

I'm using the 27" ACER HN274H bmii 3D monitor bundle and have been very pleased with it. When there is high contrasting images on the screen, I do see some ghosting. It's possible you can find one without ghosting, but I haven't seen a review that showed a 3D monitor not have some issues in high contrast, maybe things will change in the future, but I suspect some of the issue is related to the shutter glass technology itself (the glasses don't go completely black so you can see some image through them when you aren't supposed to).

Another nice benefit is 120hz means that if you have the graphical horsepower, you can finally see those 100 FPS that benchmarks show, rather than 60hz your monitor is only capable of. This makes fast motion smoother. It's especially noticeable when you turn fast in a FPS game.

In the past 3 weeks I've played:
Crysis 2 (great at 3D)
Dragon Age Origins (worked great)
Titan Quest (mostly works great)
Loki (not so great, menus and text is not show at the same depth as the background it's on which is hard on the eyes)
Dungeon Siege 3 demo (works great)
Metro 2033 for a short bit (worked great)
Dragon age 2 (worked great for the short time I played, but Nvidia mentioned it doesn't always render right)

I'm rambled enough, but I do like 3D so far. However, wearing glasses to game can be a little annoying.
!