Sign in with
Your question

Help! Won't post no beep blank screen

Last response: in CPUs
December 29, 2011 4:42:10 AM

:cry: 

Need some major help! My system stop working last week after replacing the CMOS battery. I tried reset bios and reset CMOS battery again. Next step I figure it's the CPU, so I borrowed an old e6600 from my brother. Same thing. It won't post or beep. Then I figure it's the motherboard. Swapped out the old mobo and pop in the old mobo that came with the e6600. First i put in my original CPU Q9505. Still won't post, so I put in the old CPU e6600. Omg it still won't post. My brother said it was working before I took it apart. So I figure it's the video card. My Brother has a 9800gts. Swap out my 9800gx2 and plug in the 9800gts, still won't post. Now I figure it must be ram, I found 4 other sticks of ram. Swap those in, won't post! Omg, it has to be the psu, so i ran down to best buy and brought a new 600watt crossair psu. Plug that in... Still no response. Won't post, won't beep.

Over the next 2 hours, I keep swapping different parts and trying to see which part is not working.

Any advise would be appreciated!!

Here are is the set of components I have to work with.

Abit fatality in9-sli
Q9505
Ocz 550w psu
4 gb ddr2 ram 800
9800gx2

Intel lg65ry
E6600
Crossair 600w psu
8 gb ddr2 1066
9800 gts

More about : post beep blank screen

December 29, 2011 4:45:46 AM

Does your computer turn on? That is, do the fans spin? Does the power LED come on? If not, check to see if your PSU is plugged in and you have the case wired connected correctly (that is, you don't have positive and negative mixed up).
m
l
December 29, 2011 4:54:51 AM

ulillillia said:
Does your computer turn on? That is, do the fans spin? Does the power LED come on? If not, check to see if your PSU is plugged in and you have the case wired connected correctly (that is, you don't have positive and negative mixed up).

Everything turns on. CPU fan, led, hd, DVD all turns on. My brother said when I swap out a new CPU it should have beep once ask you to go into bios menu. So I figure it might because mobo is short by the case. So I tried just setting the mobo on top of cardboard. And just plug in CPU, ram, and video card. Still won't post.

m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2011 5:55:50 AM

You may have 2 bad mobos.

You said it stopped working after replacing only the cmos battery so the only thing that could have happened while doing that is you zapped your cmos chip.
m
l
December 29, 2011 6:05:08 AM

punnar said:
You may have 2 bad mobos.

You said it stopped working after replacing only the cmos battery so the only thing that could have happened while doing that is you zapped your cmos chip.

Then why Wouldn't the 2nd motherboard boot also. I didn't want to spend the money on a new mobo and a CPU.

m
l
December 29, 2011 6:10:12 AM

Are there ways to test my 2 CPUs?
m
l
December 29, 2011 9:43:05 AM

The only thing that most likey to go bad during a cmos battery replacement procedure is the motherboard unless you did other things.

Are you certain that the board you got from your brother is a good one?
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
December 29, 2011 12:13:00 PM

Just had one of these for xmas that did the same, nothing, then on next boot fans spin but nothing, PSU wasn't giving enough volts and somehow corrupted the CMOS.

Left it unplugged overnight without the battery in, next morning put in battery, powered her and low and behold solved all the issues.

As a safety precaution, I did mount a cooling fan to the chipset heatsinks as they geta bit too warm for my liking.
m
l
December 29, 2011 5:23:20 PM

Thanks das, I hate working on computers. I just ordered a new mobo. I will give that a try. So I unplug everything and take out the battery overnight. What do I set on the bios jumper? Set on default or clear?

m
l
!