Sign in with
Your question

My final desktop build for gamming looking for some input on it

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2011 6:07:09 PM

Hey guys I'm going too be adding another 580gtx gpu in one month other then that I just need some input on what i could do better with this build also..I also had a question about the Intel Smart Response Technology for Z68... whats it do...and should i still buy that ssd as the second driver or for that

•*BASE_PRICE:•BLUETOOTH: None
•CAS: * Azza Hurrican 2000 Full Tower Gaming Case with 4 Hot Swappable HDD Cage & (4) 230MM Fans
•CASUPGRADE: 12in Cold Cathode Neon Light [+10] (Blue Color)
•CD: LG 12X Internal Super Multi Blu-Ray Rewriter (Black Color)
•CD2: None
•COOLANT: Standard Coolant
•CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)
•CS_FAN: Default case fans
•FA_HDD: None
•FAN: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 240MM w/ Dual Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Slient at 18dBA)
•FLASHMEDIA: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)
•FREEBIE_MB: None
•FREEBIE_VC: FREE Game Coupon Batman: Arkham City [+0]
•GLASSES: None
•HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD [-111] (Single Hard Drive)
•HDD2: 32 GB ADATA S596 Turbo Series Gaming MLC Solid State Disk [-36] (Single Hard Drive)
•IEEE_CARD: None
•IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
•KEYBOARD: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
•MB_SRT: None
•MEMORY: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module [+145] (Corsair or Major Brand)
•MONITOR: None
•MONITOR2: None
•MONITOR3: None
•MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] Asus P8Z68-V Pro Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ BT GO! LucidLogix Virtu and Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 4x SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified) [+116]
•MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
•MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
•NCSW: None
•NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
•OVERCLOCK: Extreme OC (Extreme Overclock 20% or more) [+49]
•POWERSUPPLY: 1,200 Watts - Raidmax RX-1200AE 80 Plus Gold Power Supply [-1]
•RUSH: NO; READY TO SHIP IN 5~10 BUSINESS DAYS
•SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
•SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
•SPEAKERS: None
•TEMP: None
•TVRC: None
•USB: None
•USBFLASH: None
•USBHD: None
•USBX: None
•VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 3GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+127] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
•VIDEO2: None [-425]
•VIDEO3: None
•WNC: None

September 27, 2011 7:54:05 PM

I'm a pretty big noob, been rolling around these forums for about a month now learning all I can, but one thing I did notice is that, YES with this build you will have Bluetooth, because the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO motherboard you have selected comes w/ Bluetooth. Build looks dope. I will look into some of your ideas as I begin to construct my own build for BF3. I am also considering the P8Z68-V PRO. I like your logical, alphabetized layout.
September 27, 2011 7:56:01 PM

You are cheaping yourself out on the 32 gb Adata SSD. Are you kidding me?

I have three OCZ vertex 3's so far with a 4th planned, and a Patriot Pyro for cache.

The rest of the rig you have there is mighty good, especially with the second 580. But seriously dude... tiny SSD does not game make.
Related resources
September 27, 2011 8:00:04 PM

Quote:

It does seem like a tiny SSD. Consider a 128GB. Word on the streets is that 32 or 64GB SSD are simply not enough. You'll want to put a bunch of important applications on your SSD. You'll want to shoot for the stars and not hamstring yourself a couple days after you build it.

If you have this build laid out on newegg or whatever, what is the price?
September 27, 2011 8:27:45 PM

The power supply that you have selected is a very poor one. I would look for something else Seasonic, Antec, Corsair and OCZ all make some good power supplies. Also take a look at this tool as it will help you find out where you need to be for the low end on your PSU http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp.

The 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors run fairly cool so you really dont need a water cooler for them you can get by with a good air cooler.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
September 27, 2011 9:34:16 PM

x Heavy said:

I have three OCZ vertex 3's so far with a 4th planned, and a Patriot Pyro for cache.

The rest of the rig you have there is mighty good, especially with the second 580. But seriously dude... tiny SSD does not game make.

ok so I decided too change that 32 too a 120GB Corsair Force Series SATA III 550MB/s Read & 510MB/s Write
will that be enough to hold me over for 3 months till i can get another one?
September 27, 2011 9:35:57 PM

ThruSeer said:
Quote:

It does seem like a tiny SSD. Consider a 128GB. Word on the streets is that 32 or 64GB SSD are simply not enough. You'll want to put a bunch of important applications on your SSD. You'll want to shoot for the stars and not hamstring yourself a couple days after you build it.

If you have this build laid out on newegg or whatever, what is the price?

The price right now is about 2 grand
September 27, 2011 9:37:25 PM

IntelEnthusiast said:
The power supply that you have selected is a very poor one. I would look for something else Seasonic, Antec, Corsair and OCZ all make some good power supplies. Also take a look at this tool as it will help you find out where you need to be for the low end on your PSU http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp.

The 2nd generation Intel® Core™ processors run fairly cool so you really dont need a water cooler for them you can get by with a good air cooler.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Thank you Christian I will do that looking at a much better one from corsair :D 
September 28, 2011 4:27:04 AM

slam016 said:
ok so I decided too change that 32 too a 120GB Corsair Force Series SATA III 550MB/s Read & 510MB/s Write
will that be enough to hold me over for 3 months till i can get another one?

The GeForce series is difficult. It's best just to suck it up and stick with the OCZ Vertex 3 and use Intel's Storage Response technology.

My reasoning is plain. They are on sale for between 80-100 off on newegg and already are at 2.11 build firmware which has run well enough doing gaming. If I was going to run into trouble with three of them, I would have done so by now.

Raid 0 the things and toss your system image and your restore/back up stuff onto a spinner; build a repair disk.

And dedicate that machine to just gaming only with Steam and Origin plus just the necessary drivers to make everything work well. Don't expose that thing to the nasty filthy internet and you will be fine.
!