Sign in with
Your question

Bios Update

Last response: in Motherboards
October 16, 2012 10:26:41 PM

HP m8430f
windows vista X64 intel 2 quad 6600
motherboard:IPIBL-LB (Benicia) motherboard

Well, I'm pretty sure I just made a rookie mistake by not backing up my old BIOS.

Story: My PC has been running pretty lately, but I noticed that my motherboard had a newer BIOS update, which fixes windows shutting down (hanging). So i updated that sucker to the newest version and restarted the computer. When I opend HW CPUID, only 2 of the 4 intel processor cores were showing a temp (Core 0, and Core#2). I understand that my processor has 2 cores, and 1 sub core to each (not very well explained by HP)? Anyway, I contacted HP when I saw that my other core temps were not showing up. No help! Not just the language barrier either. It also appeared that my computer slowed down a bit. So, as a long shot, I did a system restore, which brought back all 4 temps, but the BIOS is still showing to be the one I downloaded in the system's information. Now, there are only 2 BIOS updates I can find that are for that motherboard, but I know that both are newer than my computer's original. Anyone know where I can find the original? If i reset the BIOS/CMOS, will it revert the BIOS to the original? Or, should I let it be? Thanks in advance.

More about : bios update

a c 435 V Motherboard
a b α HP
October 17, 2012 11:21:38 AM

I would let it be. You really don't need to monitor temps anyway and flashing oem boards is risky business; you're lucky the temp issue is the only one.
m
l
November 6, 2012 3:11:38 AM

Thanks for the info. It seems to be operating just fine now. But since my PC is kinda old, anyone recommend a ram upgrade if it would help? I know that the general consensus is that it doens't give much of a performance increase, but it is old. It's also very cramped in that case. Wow!

Ram-•
Amount: 4 GB

Speed: PC2-6400 MB/sec
m
l
November 6, 2012 3:19:21 AM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

This is the memory upgrade information:

Dual channel memory architecture

Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets

Supported DIMM types:

PC2-5300 (667 MHz)

PC2-6400 (800 MHz)

Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered

Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs

Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs

Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
m
l