Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can someone recommend a PSU for me?

Last response: in Components
December 29, 2011 7:27:38 AM

Hey guys, I'm looking to build a new system and I don't know much about PSUs so I came here for some help. It's going to be powering:

ASRock z68 Extreme4 Gen3
i5 2500k (likely going to OC to about 4.0-4.3)
Samsung Blu-Ray combo
Hitachi 500GB 7200RPM
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2x4) Low Voltage Series (1.25v)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
2 200mm case fans and 1 120
A couple cold cathodes or LED sticks
Not sure on the graphics card yet. Most likely either a GTX 570 or HD 6970 (and I'll likely add a second one down the road for SLI/Xfire)

The PSU I'm looking at now is the Corsair HX 750W but I would like to purchase most of these components Friday (minus the GPU) as I'm selling my current PC Friday and The most I'll be able to spend is 850, but I'd like to get it a bit lower.

My only requirement is that it must be modular and of course enough to power my components. I don't really know what brands are good and which brands I should stay away from though. The HX 750 is 149.99 with a $10 coupon code right now but I'd like to get a little closer to the $100 mark without buying a piece of junk.

More about : recommend psu

a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 8:42:07 AM

you can have a look at the xfx models they are just as good as the compreble corsair models

other good brands are

antec
silverstone
seasonic
rosewill capstone/hive units
ocz zx/zs/zt models
enermax
Score
Related resources
December 29, 2011 8:50:51 AM

I got the OCZ full modular 650ZT and it runs great. You may want to move up and get the better Corsair that's fully modular...some of those models has non modular parts which to me are annoying at this point and make a mess. Anything from $120-159 should be good enough just look at reviews and tests.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 8:55:33 AM

esrever said:
he said he wanted to try SLI or crossfire later so I think he would need more than 550 watts

Quite right, I missed that somehow.
Score
December 29, 2011 8:59:43 AM

You want to go for a wattage of around 650-700 watts.

Brands - stick with Corsair if you can afford it, you can go for others mentioned like XFX, Antec and OCZ provided they have all the certifications and are 80 Plus.
Score
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 1:38:32 PM

deadjon said:
Ewww 60A on a single Rail - Numbers like this scare me

Really ?
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 2:00:34 PM

Yeah, Ive always been worried by big amps on single rails. What if it goes boom :( 

I like my Quad Rail Antecs - I have an old CP-850 - runs like a dream - 25A per rail and a combined rating of 65A I think, can power any SLI/Xfire setup I can think of.
Score
December 29, 2011 2:03:35 PM

any 750-850 80+ B,S,G should do the trick. honestly though if your going with dual 6970's i would aim for the 800-850 range to give yourself some head room. Especially if you plan to over clock.

I would also recomend any of the following brands as they tend to be top quality

SeaSonic
Corsair
XFX
OCZ

modular cable design would also give you a neater looking case and better air flow. It often costs a little more but is well worth it.
Score
December 29, 2011 2:41:51 PM

Corsair HX850 best bit of kit i have paid for in years for single card systems
Score
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 3:01:33 PM

deadjon said:
Yeah, Ive always been worried by big amps on single rails. What if it goes boom :( 

I like my Quad Rail Antecs - I have an old CP-850 - runs like a dream - 25A per rail and a combined rating of 65A I think, can power any SLI/Xfire setup I can think of.

I use Antec "Quad-rail" power supplies, not because I'm scared, because they're good.
I also use PCP&C Silencers ( ever get to read thier myth page ) and never feel unsafe in the room.

The issue has been beaten death over the years, there's really no appreciable difference in "safety", if the 12v source goes boom ( there's only one in about 99% of power supplies, wether listed as multi rail or not ) , it goes boom.
Score
a c 288 ) Power supply
December 29, 2011 10:08:36 PM

Davcon has 3 solid units listed, pick which ever one you like.

As for the concern over the safety issue of multiple rails versus a single rail, its a moot point, i wrote up a post on it a while ago, there is a link to it in my signature. Above about 40 A on a rail the OPP will trip before the OCP does so stuff like the Antec High Current series with their 40 A rails aren't any better than just having a single rail. Honestly, if you do manage to trip the OCP something in your system already got torched and you have a bigger problem than how many 12 V rails your PSU has.
Score
December 30, 2011 2:28:07 AM

charon711 said:
any 750-850 80+ B,S,G should do the trick. honestly though if your going with dual 6970's i would aim for the 800-850 range to give yourself some head room. Especially if you plan to over clock.

I would also recomend any of the following brands as they tend to be top quality

SeaSonic
Corsair
XFX
OCZ

modular cable design would also give you a neater looking case and better air flow. It often costs a little more but is well worth it.

Hmm, I thought 750 would be enough. I used a PSU wattage calculator (can't remember the site, said it was endorsed by Antec) and I believe it said a minimum of 620ish and recommended 711. I'll look at some 850s though if it's necessary. I'm leaning toward the Enermax one right now $100 is a great price and it's fully modular.
Score
December 30, 2011 4:33:42 AM

Shavako said:
How's Thermaltake? This unit to be specific:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

80+ Bronze

Thermaltake is also pretty good. Often times on new egg ill look at the egg ratings of a product under the "Feedback" tab. IF the combination of 5 and 4 star ratings are equal to or greater than 75% then I consider that product "good". The reason i give it that margin is because you have people that rate it between 1-3 stars over DOA's and stupid little things. but if the majority of people that give it a rating between 4-5 equal =75% then it should be a trust worthy product.

The main reason i would suggest getting a psu that high is just in case you really want to over clock your system that way you'll have enough "reserve" power their just in case.

As my grandfather used to say "it is better to have too much, than to have not enough."
Score
December 30, 2011 4:40:35 AM

also be certain it will have all the connections you need!!!

that means connections for peripheral (molex), sata, and any thing else being plugged into your system.
Score
December 30, 2011 5:03:33 AM

Ok, the Thermaltake only comes with 1 4pin power connector which will work fine with the case I'm probably going to buy (CM Storm Enforcer). However, I plan to add some cathodes or LED sticks and maybe a fan controller which will likely need a 4 pin connection. Can you purchase 4 pin power cables that will plug into one of the modular slots or will a 4pin splitter work fine?
Score
a c 243 ) Power supply
December 30, 2011 7:20:52 AM

Shavako said:
How's Thermaltake? This unit to be specific:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

80+ Bronze

Low budget, doesn't really compare with the units davcon linked to or basically any of the others mentioned so far ( well, maybe the Enermax ).
PS: Newegg reviews can be used for some kind of reference, just don't put too much faith in them
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2011 7:32:32 AM

Antec Antec Antec Antec!

Quad Rail - High Efficiency - $99 - Will power an Xfire/SLI setup - Reliable - And it looks good.

What more can you want?
Score
December 30, 2011 7:43:00 AM

deadjon said:
Antec Antec Antec Antec!

Quad Rail - High Efficiency - $99 - Will power an Xfire/SLI setup - Reliable - And it looks good.

What more can you want?

Modular Modular Modular Modular!

Lol don't get me wrong it seems like a nice PSU but it's not modular, which I listed as one of my requirements. Anyway, 750W is enough for 2x 6970s?
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2011 8:00:32 AM

Bugger, the 620W version is modular, I assumed the 750W version would be too, my bad.

And yes, a good 750W PSU will that entire setup.

Even the overinflated PSU Calculator says Minimum 670W - Reccomended 720W - which means a 650W PSU could happily power this.
Score
December 30, 2011 8:15:53 AM

Reading back my last post sounded a bit snarky, so sorry if you took it that way.

Someone mentioned that the OCZ Z series were good. I found this which is an OCZ Fatal1ty: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... which, according to http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx is a "tier II" PSU. It actually ranks higher than the OCZ Z series (only the 1000W versions even make it into tier III)

It's got 4 12V rails, SLI/Xfire, 80 Plus Bronze, and fully modular. At $99 it sounds like a great deal. I have a couple questions though, like I said I don't know much about PSUs. It has 4x 6+2 connections will those give me a problem connecting my GPU(s) over the normal 2x 6 and 2x 6+2. Also it says "6 Peripheral" connectors, would those be the 4 pin molex connections? Thanks for helping me with this btw.
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 30, 2011 8:33:30 AM

Shavako said:
Reading back my last post sounded a bit snarky, so sorry if you took it that way.

Someone mentioned that the OCZ Z series were good. I found this which is an OCZ Fatal1ty: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... which, according to http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx is a "tier II" PSU. It actually ranks higher than the OCZ Z series (only the 1000W versions even make it into tier III)

It's got 4 12V rails, SLI/Xfire, 80 Plus Bronze, and fully modular. At $99 it sounds like a great deal. I have a couple questions though, like I said I don't know much about PSUs. It has 4x 6+2 connections will those give me a problem connecting my GPU(s) over the normal 2x 6 and 2x 6+2. Also it says "6 Peripheral" connectors, would those be the 4 pin molex connections? Thanks for helping me with this btw.

According to reveiws its an excellent PSU for the money.

Although I always thought the Fatality series of PSUs were cheap and cheerful and no more than a bog standard PSU with Shiny lights and a picture of Mr Fatality on it.

This maybe when they were first released though - and this was the 400W version.

I'd go by the reviews personally - they all say its good - it ticks all of your boxes - (And it has a shiny LED :D  )

I beleive the 6970s use 2 6pin connectors each. Or maybe 2 8pins each. Either way you have enough for your 2 6970s.

I do beleive the Molex connectors are the peripheral connectors as you suggested.
December 30, 2011 8:38:33 AM

Best answer selected by Shavako.
Score
December 30, 2011 8:40:57 AM

Well it sounds perfect (for me). That red LED is nice as well, it'll shine through the bottom of my case onto my glass table and illuminate it nicely :) 

Thanks again.
Score
!