Sign in with
Your question

*Quick Help* Advising friend on PC build

Last response: in Systems
September 27, 2011 4:56:19 PM

I've configured a cyberpowerpc.com machine (below) for a friend that wants to play Company of Heroes, Skyrim, and SWTOR. The only thing I'm concerned about is the power supply, not that it won't be enough but if there are any other complications like not enough amps for the GPU or if the power is somehow not "clean" enough.

This machine is at the limit of his budget because he still much purchase a monitor, keyboard, speakers, surge prot, etc. If there is dire consequence to this particular PSU selection, I'm sure he'll reluctantly address it with a better unit.

Also, he wanted help selecting a monitor under $250. So far the only thing promising I've found is the Samsung S23A350H. Good reviews have been hard to come by.

Case: * Azza Solano 1000 Full-Tower Advance Cooling Case w/ Dual 230mm Fan + Extra 3 Fans [+21]
Internal USB Extension Module: None
Neon Light Upgrade: None
Extra Case Fan Upgrade: Maximum 120MM Color Case Cooling Fans for your selected case [+15] (Blue Color)
Noise Reduction Technology: None
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified) [-96]
Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more)
Cooling Fan: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 240MM w/ Dual Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclcking Performance + Extreme Slient at 18dBA) [+20]
Coolant for Cyberpower Xtreme Hydro Water Cooling Kits: Standard Coolant
Motherboard: [CrossFireX/SLI] Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z Intel Z68 mATX Mainboard w/ ROG Connect, Lucid Virtu and Intel SRT & 7.1 SupremeFX Audio, GbLAN, HDMI, USB 3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16 & 1 PCIe X4 (All Venom OC Certified) [+94]
Freebies: None
Intel Smart Response Technology for Z68: None
Memory: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module [+20] (Kingston HyperX [+13])
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card [+103] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)
Freebies: FREE Game - Shogun 2 Coupon: Total War
Video Card 2: None
Video Card 3: None
Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
Power Supply Upgrade: 700 Watts - XtremeGear SLI/CrossFireX Ready Power Supply
Hard Drive: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
Data Hard Drive: None
Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None
External Hard Drive (USB3.0/2.0/eSATA): None
USB Flash Drive: None
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-206BK 12X Blu-Ray Writer (Black Color) [+99]
Optical Drive 2: None
Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
3D Vision Glasses: None
LCD Monitor: None
2nd Monitor: None
3rd Monitor: None
Speakers: None
Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
Network Switch: None
Keyboard: Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard
Mouse: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse
Mouse Pad: None
Gaming Gear: None
Extra Thermal Display: None
Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: None
External Wireless Network Card: None
Wireless 802.11 B/G/N Access Point: None
Bluetooth: None
Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Write
September 27, 2011 4:58:51 PM

• Model No: PSAZ-CP700
• AC Input Voltage: 115/240V
• AC Input Frequency: 50~60Hz
• AC Input Current: 12.5A (RMS) for 115VAC Input
• Output: 8.5A (RMS) for 230VAC Input

Specifications:
AC Input 115V ~ 240V
DC Output +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5VSB
700W

Min. Output Current 1.0A 1.0A 0.5A 0.5A 0A 0.1A
Max. Output Current 24A 32A 21A 22A 0.6A 2.0A
Max. Combined Wattage 200W 480W (38A) 7.2W 10W
Max. 700W

^That's all the PSU info listed on the site.^
m
l
September 27, 2011 5:19:17 PM

you don't mention a price there but I reckon he'll get a much better build with a decent psu for less
how much is the hydro power thing costing? decent aircooler probably a better option
dont pay for an overclock, do it yourselves and enjoy the journey/ learning process
Moto
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2011 5:54:16 PM

That post is super hard to read. How about you post only the components in neat fashion? Is this some sort of pre-assembled build? Why not assemble your own?
m
l
September 27, 2011 6:50:08 PM

Just after the word Cyberpower I reckon :p 
same here but if we dont educate folks, they'll keep on thinking its a good idea lol
Moto
m
l
September 27, 2011 8:02:19 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
l
September 27, 2011 9:45:24 PM

FinneousPJ said:
That post is super hard to read. How about you post only the components in neat fashion? Is this some sort of pre-assembled build? Why not assemble your own?

All of the information is outlined, the PSU spec has it's own separate reply. The build is around 1180 and it comes with free liquid cooling in the form of a 240mm radiator with 2 120mm fans and reservoir. The system costs about as much as the components do individually and we do not have the time or desire to custom build. .the overclock costs nothing and I'm well aware of the pros and cons of a custom built system.

Focus people, there are 2 questions here and no one has even touched on either of them. Monitor, PSU.
m
l
October 1, 2011 8:50:46 PM

STAY AWAY FROM CYBERPOWER they have a 50% customer satisfaction rating! I personally bought from them once and they sent me a PC full of shitty parts if your going to buy a prebuilt go for falcon NW the extra cash Is totally worth it and I'll tell you why.

More specifically whey I recommend falcon NW: free overnight shipping for an RMA process. 3 business days for them to troubleshoot and stress test the PC for 12 hours using multiple benchmarking programs and free overnight shipping from them to you. All parts can be overclocked and it does not void the warranty if something goes wrong. Excellent engineering the wire management allows for superior air flow. The case looks amazing although no one seriously cares about this. In my personal experience I shipped out my PC due to graphics issues, they sent it back in mint condition with a free surge protector t-shirt and mug and with a note saying: Thanks for being our customer! NOW THAT is service.

Even if you decide to bot go with FNW STAY AWAY FROM CYBERPOWER they are notorious for making customers wait upwards of 3-4 weeks for an RMA process and often send it back in even worse condition. They are also notorious for calling a week before the PC ships out and saying they are out of stock of x part and offer you a downgraded version. In many cases this part is usually the graphics card. If you refuse they make you wait another 2 weeks.
m
l
!