First Time Build Gaming Rig Help!

theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
Hello,
I am asking a few questions here. Let me give you some background on my current situation. I wish to learn how to build a gaming PC capable of maxing out Battlefield 3. I am going to build this PC in around 6 months from now. Assuming that no breakthroughs in PC technology is going to be made in that time span i am going with these specs
My Gaming Rig

CASE:COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case

MOTHERBOARD:ASUS P8P67 PRO (REV 3.1) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU:EVGA SuperClocked 012-P3-1573-KR GeForce GTX 570 HD

CPU:Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

RAM:CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model

HDD:Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optical Drive:LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Black SATA Model iHAS424-98 LightScribe Support

PSU: ENERMAX MODU87+ EMG800EWT 800W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

A few questions:
1.Are these parts compatible? (this includes whether or not everything will fit fine and the power supply wont fry my motherboard as it has in the past.)
2.Should i upgrade any parts?
3.Plan to use SLI with two GPU's is this okay?
4.Is this case quality and good for beginners. Does it have wire routing and is it spacious?
5. Is it worth it to have a solid slate drive for the OS and a separate storage hard drive?
6. Any comments questions and concerns you have regarding my issue please make. I am just a teenager and unsure about this stuff. I would also like to know if you guys know any good tutorials and/or helpful websites.
My level of technical prowess is a 2.5 out of 5 at best! :lol:

Solution
Friend, in 1 month, everything changes....excpet for PSU, optical drive, speaker, fans, case, keyboard and mouse.....trust me, SSD prices will be so chep 6 months from now, that your build will be completly diferent, not to mention Iby Brdige processors and motheroboards, larger external HDDs for backup, and a Nvidia videocards refresh

BTW, an external component, like a speaker or case, may not be available in 6 months, so if there is a specific compoennet you want because of desigh, you may want to go ahead and get it sooner.

I can tell you in advance that you WANT a SSD.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Friend, in 1 month, everything changes....excpet for PSU, optical drive, speaker, fans, case, keyboard and mouse.....trust me, SSD prices will be so chep 6 months from now, that your build will be completly diferent, not to mention Iby Brdige processors and motheroboards, larger external HDDs for backup, and a Nvidia videocards refresh

BTW, an external component, like a speaker or case, may not be available in 6 months, so if there is a specific compoennet you want because of desigh, you may want to go ahead and get it sooner.

I can tell you in advance that you WANT a SSD.

Solution
P67 based MB vs. z68? +1 comment about. 6 months from now there may be no prium z68 vs. p67.

CPU:Intel Core i7-2600K is neat. But i5-2500K games roughly as well for a lot less.

disk: HDD:Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX 750GB is good. The 1.5TB WD Black is a good bit faster (i think it was the 1.5 and 2TB drives that got much faster, someone correct if i've missed it)

:TEAC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD-ROM ?!?! IDE ? not sure you can connect that to your MB. Get a sata drive.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
in 5 months and 3 weeks ask this question again.

prices will change, new hardware will be avaliable and your entire build will be different.

i would be willing to bet that not a single item you posted will be in the build 6 months from now. except maybe the case. (yes even windows 8 is in beta atm)

pointless asking what we think about this gear im affraid.

theitaliansico

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011

Thanks that's the exact advice I wanted. I'm not buying this rig anytime soon first i have to acquire the funds. What I am really interested in is having a fast GPU and hard drive. So i will wait. Thank you for the reply.
One more question

Is it possible to find out when these new GPU's will be out?