DVI or DisplayPort or HDMI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatalyFlawed

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
DVI /Display port / HDMI which one should i hook up my monitor to ?
O.K. i just finaly got a full on system up and running, having ditched the 8 year old bucket of bolts i had been using. Now i have choices that i dont fully understand . (oh it's a hard life! )
So i am running a Asus] P8-Z68 V-Pro with a 2600K I have a 60 gb SSD for the os a 240 gb SSD for , well,l idont know, whatever, and 2tb of HDD. I got just the 1 560TI at the moment (cost cutting ouch) . I have a 27 inch Asus monitor. Curently i have it hooked up through the DVI from the descrete GPU. But i have mini hdmi from the card that i could use , or displayport from the back panel of the main board. I have used the DVI from the M/B (before i had the 560ti fitted). I have tried hooking up the hdmi from the 560ti but i just get a blank screen , monitor shows briefly "no DVI signal" Well i know that . I just disconected it ! Is there an advantage to using the HDMI ? If so where do i enable it. Cant seem to find it in Bios. Any sugestions. I dont mind trying to suss it out myself. But i dont even know where i should start looking for articals. Thanks. .I kind a figure it's a dumb question. But maybe someone will help me out. By the way. Iam totaly gobsmacked by the way this PC runs. Compared to the original Athlon i had been using. ho,ho. I doubt that i even have this thing optimaly set up yet. But it flys on standard clocks( trying to choose a cpu cooler( [thermalright silver arrow, i think]

Solution
DVI features a max bitrate of 3.96 Gbit/s, whereas HDMI has 10.2 Gbit/s. DVI is video only, HDMI includes both audio and video.

For a rig like the one you described, I couldn't think of using anything less than HDMI. As for getting the monitor to recognize the HDMI connection, after you correctly plug the cable to the PC/monitor, simply scan for signals on the monitor (wherever that setting may be).

But, the recognition for the connection is on the monitor, not the PC. Best of luck!

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
DVI features a max bitrate of 3.96 Gbit/s, whereas HDMI has 10.2 Gbit/s. DVI is video only, HDMI includes both audio and video.

For a rig like the one you described, I couldn't think of using anything less than HDMI. As for getting the monitor to recognize the HDMI connection, after you correctly plug the cable to the PC/monitor, simply scan for signals on the monitor (wherever that setting may be).

But, the recognition for the connection is on the monitor, not the PC. Best of luck!

Solution

FatalyFlawed

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010

Yep . Guess I should have read the destruction manual. (which is pretty poor by the way). But The HDMI is selectable from the monitors menu (as you said). I now have it hooked up fine and dandy. Thanks again.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished

Glad to hear everything worked out for you! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS