Multiple Monitors Questions - GTX 570 or 6970?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LFaWolf

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Hello, I want to run 3 monitors with my new setup, and I have always been an nVidia user, but my concern is, can a GTX570 supports 3 monitors? I got on nVidia site and looks like the it supports only 2 monitors max for either a single card or SLI. Can SLI support 3 monitors?
http://www.slizone.com/object/sli_multi_monitor.html

From AMD site I believe 6970 supports 3 with 2 mini display ports and 1 DVI. AMD boasts Eyefinity is the only tech that can support more than 2 monitors.

The games I want to play are Starcraft 2 and Civ 5. I know from AMD website Civ 5 supports Eyefinity.

Anyone knows? Do I have to go with AMD? Thanks.

Solution
^How long ago was your bad experience? I use 3 monitors in Eyefinity on a single HD6950 and I do not have any problem.

You do not need 2xDP to support 3 monitors if you use the HD6970 or any AMD 5XXX & 6XXX for that matter. These cards will support 3 monitors with 2DVI+1DP or 1DVI+1HDMI+1DP or if you pick a Sapphire Flex, it will support 2DVI+1HDMI ( no need for DP).

randomkid

Distinguished
^How long ago was your bad experience? I use 3 monitors in Eyefinity on a single HD6950 and I do not have any problem.

You do not need 2xDP to support 3 monitors if you use the HD6970 or any AMD 5XXX & 6XXX for that matter. These cards will support 3 monitors with 2DVI+1DP or 1DVI+1HDMI+1DP or if you pick a Sapphire Flex, it will support 2DVI+1HDMI ( no need for DP).

Solution

LFaWolf

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
My experience was with a Saphire AGP X850 (GTO?) card and the catalyst driver was nothing but trouble with the .NET framework installation. I have yet to have troubles with nVidia until recently with my GTS250 acting up. I think it might be the card going since I was getting weird lines and images once in a while.

Thank you everyone for your insight. This really helps. I am still trying to decide with either 3 23" LED LCD or 1 27" LED LCD. I browse the web a lot for research and I am a software developer and only a casual gamer, so I think multi-monitors helps me more.

LFaWolf

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010

Oh no I am not holding a grudge, just wary. Every ATI card I had in the old days had really bad drivers (Rage Pro, 9600 Pro) etc. I need a very stable system. I cannot have BSOD in the middle of working. I need to be sure before I invest in 3 monitors and a 6970 card. That is at least $800.

Eyefinity is a good tech. If it works then I will be a happy camper.

If it doesn't let me know and I'll permaban those that recommended it.

Status
Not open for further replies.