Closed Solved

Multiple Monitors Questions - GTX 570 or 6970?

Hello, I want to run 3 monitors with my new setup, and I have always been an nVidia user, but my concern is, can a GTX570 supports 3 monitors? I got on nVidia site and looks like the it supports only 2 monitors max for either a single card or SLI. Can SLI support 3 monitors?
http://www.slizone.com/object/sli_multi_monitor.html

From AMD site I believe 6970 supports 3 with 2 mini display ports and 1 DVI. AMD boasts Eyefinity is the only tech that can support more than 2 monitors.

The games I want to play are Starcraft 2 and Civ 5. I know from AMD website Civ 5 supports Eyefinity.

Anyone knows? Do I have to go with AMD? Thanks.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about multiple monitors questions 6970
  1. With AMD cards you can use three monitors with one GPU.
    Do do such with Nvidia cards you will need to SLI.
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-surround-technology.html
  2. Then can a single GTX 570 support 2 monitors? I am weighing my options as I don't really like AMD Catalyst drivers from bad experience in the past.
  3. Best answer
    ^How long ago was your bad experience? I use 3 monitors in Eyefinity on a single HD6950 and I do not have any problem.

You do not need 2xDP to support 3 monitors if you use the HD6970 or any AMD 5XXX & 6XXX for that matter. These cards will support 3 monitors with 2DVI+1DP or 1DVI+1HDMI+1DP or if you pick a Sapphire Flex, it will support 2DVI+1HDMI ( no need for DP).
  4. Any current video card can support two monitors.
    I have had no problems with AMDs video card drivers over the last 2 years.
  5. My experience was with a Saphire AGP X850 (GTO?) card and the catalyst driver was nothing but trouble with the .NET framework installation. I have yet to have troubles with nVidia until recently with my GTS250 acting up. I think it might be the card going since I was getting weird lines and images once in a while.

Thank you everyone for your insight. This really helps. I am still trying to decide with either 3 23" LED LCD or 1 27" LED LCD. I browse the web a lot for research and I am a software developer and only a casual gamer, so I think multi-monitors helps me more.
  6. The card you are talking about is nearly a decade old and from well before ATI was bought by AMD back in '06... doesn't make sense to hold a grudge that long imo especially if it means avoiding a product that better fits your needs.
  7. jyjjy said:
    The card you are talking about is nearly a decade old and from well before ATI was bought by AMD back in '06... doesn't make sense to hold a grudge that long imo especially if it means avoiding a product that better fits your needs.

Oh no I am not holding a grudge, just wary. Every ATI card I had in the old days had really bad drivers (Rage Pro, 9600 Pro) etc. I need a very stable system. I cannot have BSOD in the middle of working. I need to be sure before I invest in 3 monitors and a 6970 card. That is at least $800.

Eyefinity is a good tech. If it works then I will be a happy camper.
  8. Best answer selected by LfaWolf.
  9. LFaWolf said:
    Oh no I am not holding a grudge, just wary. Every ATI card I had in the old days had really bad drivers (Rage Pro, 9600 Pro) etc. I need a very stable system. I cannot have BSOD in the middle of working. I need to be sure before I invest in 3 monitors and a 6970 card. That is at least $800.

Eyefinity is a good tech. If it works then I will be a happy camper.

If it doesn't let me know and I'll permaban those that recommended it.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia AMD Monitors Graphics