Seeking Qualified Advice on BEST RAM-type for these components

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Compiling a parts list for a new gaming build.

I want to know if this RAM is the best choice to work with these other parts: If not, then I will appreciate alternative choices, and the reasons why.

I'm hoping to buy some (correct and optimal) version of this brand name and type:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3

I don't know anything about the various TIMINGS, etc., so I need help. It's for my 'build-it-myself' low-end "Gaming Build"

========================================================
MOTHERBOARD:
Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX Motherboard - MILITARY SPECS
-- LINK TO PAGE ON NEWEGG.COM --
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131736&Tpk=Asus%20SABERTOOTH%20990FX

PROCESSOR:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition AM3 CPU HDZ955FBGMBOX - 3.20GHz, Socket AM3, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Retail, Processor with Fan
LINK: TO PAGE ON TigerDirect.com........
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/search.asp?keywords=AMD+Phenom+II+X4+955+Black

Thank you!

Solution
The aftermarket air cooler is more towards for the CPU chip since all the processing it does will generate heat. Your 955BE will come with a stock CPU cooler which will suffice for ordinary needs unless you plan to overclock the CPU. I switched to a Hyper 212+ because my stock fan was running louder than I would have liked.

My Hyper 212+ does block off the two closest RAM slots to the CPU since the included 120mm fan needs to be mounted to push the air through the heatsink fins. The RAM will cool itself with no problems since I have the Ripjaws 2x4GB sticks and they are running perfectly fine. I have 8GB running on my system and I know I won't ever max it out so I can live without having two more slots.

There are plenty of other RAM...

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
The motherboard you chose will support RAM with 1866, 1600, 1333, and 1066 frequencies. I actually use RipJaws Ram sticks and for your purposes, the 1333 or 1600 would work fine. The 1600 does cost alittle bit more since it runs at a higher frequency. Low timings for RAM will cost a premium too but from my experience having a 8-8-8-24 or 9-9-9-24 timing will not produce any noticeable difference.

Any 1333 or 1600 RAM will do fine from this page: NewEgg RipJaws

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Thanks for your reply, Enigma, but the link you gave lists 20 different products. I don't know which one is appropriate, or the type you were referring to.

Will you be so kind as to link me to just 1 or 2 choices, and tell me why which one is better than the other? You mentioned a bunch of timings, but I don't know what they really mean. I'm guessing that timings are important to either the processor and/or the motherboard, but I don't understand how to choose the best RAM (based upon its timing specs).

If the prices aren't too far apart, what is suggested as the optimal choice, related to the other products I mentioned?

I'll have only one chance to buy these components, since it's coming out of my SS income. Therefore, I am hoping to make the best decision; and that's why I'm asking for expert help, here on THG.

Thanks again, for taking the time to reply to me!
-- Larry

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Since you mention that it is for a "low-end" gaming computer then any of the following will work:

Ripjaws X 1333
Ripjaws 1333

If you wanted to spend alittle more money then you can get the 1600 versions of the above two:

Ripjaws X 1600
Ripjaws 1600

From my understanding, the frequency represents how many clock cycles the RAM will go through per second so the higher the better but in benchmarks done, there isn't a good price-to-performance ratio from anything faster than 1600.

If you want to learn about timings then you can read up about it here.

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

Your reply is still confusing to me.

You gave me links to alternate versions, but you didn't specify what the differences are. Example: "X" versus non-"X", etc. I have no idea what the advantages are, one over the other. You may undersand it, but I don't.

You also said:
"...there isn't a good price-to-performance ratio from anything faster than 1600.", but you included 1300." Why did you include that, when it circumvents my desire to get [an answer to] the OPTIMAL RAM for my hardware? It confuses me.

My original question stated:
"I'm hoping to buy some (correct and optimal) version of this brand name and type:"
The key word there is OPTIMAL. In other words, what is the best I can buy (compatible with my hardware specs)?

I already have choices; the number of the choices, and their varibles (timings, etc.) is what is confusing me! I am asking 'which is the most desireable'.

I'm hoping for an expert opinion on which is the OPTIMAL CHOICE (performance wise) to work perfectly with my hardware specs.

I appreciate your reply very much, but I am still hoping for a definitive anwer, if possible.

Thank you,
Larry

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
I'll explain some of the details from my earlier posts since I wasn't sure how much you wanted to know and hopefully someone else can help you pick a RAM.

The "X" seen in after the Ripjaws name is probably a scheme thought up by G-Skil since the X series has larger heat spreaders. The heat spreaders are in contact with the memory modules that are on the PCB. The heat spreaders are the red part you see in the picture and also what the stickers are stuck too. Honestly you can pick the RAM based on personal preference such as which one looks better in your eye but either one is effective at dissipating heat. You should also note that either one of these "high clearance" RAM sticks will not be able to accommodate an aftermarket air cooler since the heatsinks will most likely block off one or two RAM slots on your motherboard.

I included both the 1333 and 1600 versions in case there is a tight budget but I suppose a $4 difference is insignificant.

For your purposes, I would personally get the 1600 versions.

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009

Your last reply helps very much. And, it also alerted me to something I was totally unaware of, and important!

Here's what you said, so now I need to ask another question.
"You should also note that either one of these "high clearance" RAM sticks will not be able to accommodate an aftermarket air cooler since the heatsinks will most likely block off one or two RAM slots on your motherboard."

From everything I've read in forums, etc., it seems to me that most people really do want to add an aftermarket cooling device. So, the new question is whether or not this G-SKILL Ripjaws brand will cool properly, using its own 'fins', etc? Or, should I forget this brand and ask THG to recommend a better alternative?

I am not experienced enough to evaluate the differences and compatibilites between literallly thousands of choices of hardware types. That's why I'm here on THG, asking for advice. And, I really appreciate the advice I've been given.

Engima

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
The aftermarket air cooler is more towards for the CPU chip since all the processing it does will generate heat. Your 955BE will come with a stock CPU cooler which will suffice for ordinary needs unless you plan to overclock the CPU. I switched to a Hyper 212+ because my stock fan was running louder than I would have liked.

My Hyper 212+ does block off the two closest RAM slots to the CPU since the included 120mm fan needs to be mounted to push the air through the heatsink fins. The RAM will cool itself with no problems since I have the Ripjaws 2x4GB sticks and they are running perfectly fine. I have 8GB running on my system and I know I won't ever max it out so I can live without having two more slots.

There are plenty of other RAM brand available but the reason I went with the Ripjaws was the price at the time and also that it was extremely reliable. I haven't regretted my choice at all since they can handle anything I throw at them, from gaming to Photoshopping. There are low profile RAM in which there are heat spreaders along the side of the RAM but don't have the elongated fins as in the Ripjaws and Ripjaws X series. How good your case air flow is should also be considered.

Solution

Kreelor

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
That sums it up pretty good. Thanks for being so patient, and helpful! Next step for me is to check out various mid-to-full tower cases. Have a happy new year, and a safe one!

Status
Not open for further replies.