High system temp

apple456

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
Just built my first computer (Chassi-HAF 922) and thought i check some ram speed, temps ect... with speccy. So the processor (i5 3450) was at around 22-25c at idle which seemed ok, but the motherboard/systemtemp (MSI Z77 G43) shows a stable 48c which seems a bit high. When i turned on my computer later the systemtemp was around 60c :O, so i restarted the computer and it went down by about 10c. The fans i have are 1x 200mm (front, intake), 1x 200mm (top, exhaust), 1x 120mm (back, exhaust). My top fan seems broken and does kind of an motor/revving sound sometimes. All the fans are wired up to a nzxt sentry 2.Im planning to buy another 200mm and put it on the side as intake. Would it be better to have 2x 120mm fans on the top and side? (im not so concerned about sound level). I have orderd my gpu but it has not arrived yet so im currently running with intel hd graphics. I also have almost all cables hidd away in the back so cables wont affect airflow.
I will try again later when im home to see if the temps got abit better.
So is the systemtemp high and what can i do about it?

apple456

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

Okay i'll give you an update as soon as i try it

I have found that the northbridge and southbridge temps run a bit high after an initial build but tend to calm down over time. It helps to tun the system thru a few thermal cycles (bring up to hi temp for an hour, then let it cool down) which I'll do by raising the OC a bit higher than I actually plan to run it. This cycling helps cure the thermal compound that was applied under the chipset heat sinks on the Mobo. I have seen drops exceeding10C on some builds.

The tool I use for this is OCCT which lets you set a 60 minute test run and monitors / graphs the temps, voltages etc. over time. It also will sound an alarm if things go over the limit you set which comes in handy if you are busy doing something else (i.e building box 2, while you burn in box 1).

http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download

And make sure ya don't run multiple monitoring utilities at the same time..... as they can interfere with one another.

apple456

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

Thanks for your time, so your in short saying it will cool down after time or do i have to OC, cause i actually dont have that big of an interest in OCing atm

run hardware monitor or open hardware monitor there three temps now with the new chip that you have to read and understand. there going to be the core temps (1-4) if it a 4 core cpu. on the sb and ib chips there a thermal sensor on the cpu package. depending how good of a heat sink you have and airflow this temp may read 5-15 deg higher then the cpu core temp.
i have that mb with a newer i3 ib 2220 cpu. make sure the mb has the newest bios and under thermal provile for the cpu you set it to 40-50c. with opened hardware monitor look at the cpu fan speed. look at to what it running at and is the fan speed going up with the heat of the cpu.

apple456

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

I used that program you liked me, the motherboard itself was 24c :D but something else, i think it was called ''T1'' was around 44c any idea what that might be? I think it might stand for temp 1 but i dunno. Anyways its all seems fine now and i shoudnt worry to much about it. Thanks for your help