Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Device Manager -Unknown Device

Last response: in Motherboards
October 17, 2012 5:31:42 PM

Just finished my build on a Z77 Pro4-M board. After installing Win 7 on a Samsung 830 256GB SSD I installed MB drivers as listed below. In W7 Device Manager I show one Other - Unknown Device. I'm pretty sure I installed all the necessary drivers but something is missing. System uses i5 3570K's built in HD 4000 graphics, no discrete GPU at all. No add on cards at all. Right now all that is connected is a mouse and keyboard. Drives are Samsung SSD, WD Caviar Black 500GB HDD and Sony Optiarc DVD. All show up in Device Manager.

Hoping someone might have a clue which of ASRock's drivers I might be missing. Here are available drivers I have installed for this MB and notes on which ones I did not install.

Audio Realtek high definition audio driver ver:R2.66 - INSTALLED
INF INF (chipset) driver ver:9.3.0.1019 - INSTALLED
Intel Intel Management Engine driver ver:8.0.3.1427 - INSTALLED
Lan Realtek Lan driver ver:7048 - INSTALLED
USB Intel USB 3.0 driver ver:1.0.4.220 - INSTALLED
VGA VGA driver ver:15.26.12.64.2761 - INSTALLED
HDD ASMedia SATA3 Driver ver:1.3.1 - INSTALLED
HDD Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver ver:11.2.0.1006 - INSTALLED

NOT INSTALLED
Intel Intel Rapid Start driver ver:1.0.0.1021 - I disabled Sleep & Hibernate for the SSD
Intel Intel Smart Connect driver ver:2.0.1083.0 - For updating email, social apps, etc, when system is in sleep mode. I disabled Sleep and Hibernate and don't do social media.
CIR - CIR receiver driver ver:20110219 - This is an ASRock driver for a remote control
Other - AppCharger ver:1.0.5 - ASRock driver for quicker charging of iPads, iPods, etc. Don't think I need
Other - Lucid Virtu MVP ver:2.1.114 - Modify Battlefield3 can not play issue. - This is ASRock's description. I don't game.
HDD SATA RAID Driver - Not running a RAID setup.

To my eye the only one's that I might try are the CIR receiver (MB does have a CIR header) and the Lucid Virtu MVP (not sure what that one is related to).

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 10:52:50 AM

There are entries for Rapid Start and Smart Connect in the BIOS. I think these are set to disabled by default, but you can have a look at that.

If you check the propeties of this unknown device, go to the tab "details", and check the "Hardware ID", does it show a VEN and DEV code? That might help to find out which device it is.
http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/
October 18, 2012 2:51:47 PM

Zjenep said:
There are entries for Rapid Start and Smart Connect in the BIOS. I think these are set to disabled by default, but you can have a look at that.

If you check the propeties of this unknown device, go to the tab "details", and check the "Hardware ID", does it show a VEN and DEV code? That might help to find out which device it is.
http://pci-ids.ucw.cz/read/PC/

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I didn't check the BIOS and indeed those items were Enabled. Unfortunately, I had already tracked down the missing driver using the Hardware ID and a Google search. Turns out it was the Intel Smart Connect driver 2.0. I have no plans to use that function at all but once I installed the driver it cleared up the Unknown Device. I have subsequently disabled it and Rapid Start, the CIR remote, the serial and parallel ports in the BIOS.

Is there a way to uninstall the driver or should I just leave it as is?
October 25, 2012 12:16:08 AM

Best answer selected by highcountryrider.
!