High fps + input lag

konasu

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I've been experiencing a noticeable input lag in just about every game I play. First noticed it in hon and starcraft, where the units don't respond the exact instant you click, and in games like dead space 2, the witcher 2, nba 2k11, deus ex hr, space marine, and now fifa 12. I have a high fps in all of these games and when it comes to shooters, simply looking around feels perfectly smooth (though the actual movement feels sluggish.) I've tried various drivers, a full reformat, defragmenting, and messing with the cpu render-ahead limit. All dead ends. It seems like a cpu issue (and I know mine is just a dual core,) but it still shouldn't be having these problems in *every* game.

cpu idles at around 40C, 55-60C load, so overheating doesn't seem to be the culprit.

e8400 dual core oc @ 3.6ghz
4gigs ddr2 800mhz
ep35-ds3r mobo
amd 6950 2gig vmem
windows 7 64bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've run out of ideas.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
What monitor are you using? Sometimes a monitor with a slow response time could be the culprit, however this is usually down to merely a few milliseconds.

What sort of RAM and CPU % is being used up on your machine? It could be that your hitting a limit somewhere and your PC is just struggling to keep up. Have you tried running the games in their lowest possible detail settings, just to see if the movements feel less sluggish?

Those games should not be stressing that CPU, and if it were overheating things would be way worse. I used an e8400@3.6Ghz for 3 years and noticed no real gaming improvement switching to an i7 2600K @4.4Ghz turbo.

Does the mouse pointer lag as well?
Are you measuring actual core temps? Using what program?
If your system is busy doing something else, check the processes to see what is running.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Wireless keyboard should be fine :) I agree with a wired mouse though.

Could simply be a case of the batteries are low if it is a wireless mouse the OP is using.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

As Proximon pointed out ^^ further up ^^ the CPU shouldn't be a limiting factor.

Unless your seeing very high (90%+) CPU usage there shouldn't be any issues here.

konasu

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

You know, I don't think so. How can I verify and fix it?

Thanks for all of the responses, btw.