Closed Solved

USB 3 Adapter/PCIe Questions

The new case that I am buying has USB 3 support. Great. But unfortunately, it is powered through a cord that goes to the back of the case which you are supposed to plug into an external port on the motherboard. I can do this, but I really don't want to. Is there an adapter I can get which is a USB 3 to a USB 3 motherboard header?

Also, in an unrelated issue, my motherboard has three PCIe x16 slots, but one runs at x8 and one at x4, while the main one runs at x16. I am planning to Crossfire my GPUs. Will one of them run slower if it's in the x8 slot?

Thanks
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about adapter pcie questions
  1. UK or US Member?
    and which case out of interest?
    yes, if you crossfire, both cards will run at x8, its not a huge drop in performance though, only in benchmark numbers
    Moto
  2. I'm from the US.
    The case is a Thermaltake Armor A60.

Okay, thank you. So, that won't really affect anything.
  3. Best answer
    Grab something like this,

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=internal+usb+3.0+adapter&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8649557846804528025 plug your cases usb3.0 plugs into it and put the header onto the mobo,
    Sorted, sorry for brief answer, my typings not the best on my phone :.-)
    Moto
  4. Would this work: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812162012

I'm using a Gigabyte z68xp-ud5, but I can't find the amount of pins on the buffer for the USB 3. Any ideas?
  5. Yup, that there is fine, it is 19pin for future reference, they weren't readily available on my build so I bought a drivebay unit and stripped it down,
    Grab one and plug your case cables into it, and your done :-)
    Moto
  6. Okay, thanks a lot for your help.
    If you don't have anything else to say, I'll choose a best answer and lock the topic, okay?
  7. No problem man, glad to help
    Moto
  8. Best answer selected by TechHunter16.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Cases USB3 Motherboards Components Product