Sign in with
Your question

HDMI video, SPDIF sound, Memorex tv.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 28, 2011 10:08:55 AM

My question is, can I hook my 9800 gtx+ to my tv using HDMI for video and then use my motherboards SPDIF connection for sound and get it to all come out together. The tv I'm using is a Memorex mlt3221. I know this is kind of specific, but I don't want to spend money and have everything on different channels.
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 11:37:57 AM

thethoughtlessone said:
My question is, can I hook my 9800 gtx+ to my tv using HDMI for video and then use my motherboards SPDIF connection for sound and get it to all come out together. The tv I'm using is a Memorex mlt3221. I know this is kind of specific, but I don't want to spend money and have everything on different channels.

Are you running Windows 7?
July 28, 2011 12:17:14 PM

Yeah, I'm running 7. I don't really think I'll have problems on my computers side of the plan. This tv doesn't have any in-depth setting and I've also noticed that it's only SPDIF port is an in-port. So it seems I'm at a loss as to how to get the audio to the tv.
Related resources
a c 124 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 1:01:08 PM

thethoughtlessone said:
Yeah, I'm running 7. I don't really think I'll have problems on my computers side of the plan. This tv doesn't have any in-depth setting and I've also noticed that it's only SPDIF port is an in-port. So it seems I'm at a loss as to how to get the audio to the tv.

Ok. Then what you need to do is get your S/PDIF cable hooked from the S/PDIF out on your PC to the S/PDIF in on your TV and your HDMI cable running from the 9800GT to your TV. Once you have that hooked up turn on the PC.

When windows loads, click on the 'Windows' button (used to be the 'Start' button in Windows XP) at the bottom left. In the 'Search programs and files' box, type 'manage audio' (without the single quotes). Then click on the 'Manage audio devices' button that appears. Right click on the Digital Audio (S/PDIF) and in the context menu that appears click on 'Set as Default Device'.
July 28, 2011 6:59:45 PM

I meant to say the tv only has an out-port, I had been awake to long when I posted that.
!