Updating the bios for asus P8Z77-V LX

wisemaster96

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Hello,

I have the P8Z77-V LX motherboard from Asus and I want to update the BIOS. When I went to the Asus website I downloaded the update as a CAP file. I'm not sure what to do with this file to update my BIOS. If someone could tell me how to do this I would greatly appreciate it.

Solution
Put the BIOS file on a FAT32 formatted USB stick and use EZ Flash in the BIOS itself to update the BIOS.

You should never update the BIOS in Windows unless it's your only option (thankfully, it's not, in this situation).

Edit: You may need to go here http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_LX/#download and download the "Bios Renamer for USB BIOS Flashback" in the "BIOS Utilities" section as well. I'm not positive about that part, though. You may want to try it with the original first, and if that doesn't work, then try the renamer utility.

wisemaster96

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Thanks for responding...

After I posted I looked at my manual and cd. From the cd I installed AI Suite II which is an application designed to update the BIOS in a windows environment. So I installed that and I clicked "Asus update" (following the instructions from the manual to update BIOS). I've tried about 3 time now but every single time my computer freezes and I need to shut it down with the power button.

The reason that I wanted to update the BIOS in the first place is because I am having a BSOD issue and It looked to me (after researching BSOD) that the cause could be an out of date BIOS.

To sum it all up, I installed AI Suite II and followed the instructions from my manual to update my BIOS with it, but my computer freezes whenever I do so.

Put the BIOS file on a FAT32 formatted USB stick and use EZ Flash in the BIOS itself to update the BIOS.

You should never update the BIOS in Windows unless it's your only option (thankfully, it's not, in this situation).

Edit: You may need to go here http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_LX/#download and download the "Bios Renamer for USB BIOS Flashback" in the "BIOS Utilities" section as well. I'm not positive about that part, though. You may want to try it with the original first, and if that doesn't work, then try the renamer utility.

Solution

wisemaster96

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012

Thanks for your help.