Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Internet security programs

Last response: in Windows 8
January 16, 2013 8:26:20 AM

Hi, I run windows 8 pro on a stationary computer with a hardwired network to my router.
I saw in a thread that windows essential is a viable program for viruses, but what is the benefit of a suite with firewall?
And if it's a good practice to use a suite, I won't mind paying for a good working one.
I tried to run comodo but well that crashed something horribly on windows 8.
Currently I have my eyes on a purchase of avast, but that might change if there is a better option available.

Cheers. :) 
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 16, 2013 8:46:32 AM

If you're willing to pay, Bitdefender gets my vote.
m
l

Best solution

January 17, 2013 10:27:46 PM

bitdifender it's the best in class regarding malware removal and detection...however be ready for some serious slowdown of your pc...personally i have every year free licence to kaspersky internet security,but i still prefer avast free edition,because it's light in resources,and if i'm running into trouble i have malwarebytes handy...if you are looking for the best protection,you need to make compromises...some common sense and avast free will serve you very well,unless you have very importand data on your pc and want additional protection.
Related resources
a b 8 Security
a b * Windows 8
January 17, 2013 11:21:58 PM

Hi :) 

Norton Internet security 2013 works perfectly in 8 and is the best by far...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 18, 2013 3:58:51 AM

I don't generally have any important data besides a few common documents and my key database (keepass) which is regularly backed up. So nothing that can't be reinstalled if worst comes to worst. So far I have not received any infections that has managed to harm my system. Used Comodo on windows 7 with quite satiesfied results but that's useless on a windows 8 or was a few weeks ago, so won't touch that. I tend to browse the darker side of the internet once in a while, as well as trying a few random games before I buy them. Which can and sometimes carry viruses. As for intrusions I feel quite secure these days. Avast is darn fast in it scans but that might also be, because I run an SSD disc as my primary drive.
m
l
January 18, 2013 8:52:58 AM

I would suggest you to go with Comodo Security which is coupled with antivirus and firewall in a single software! Hope it helps
m
l
January 20, 2013 7:32:50 PM

I hadn't heard of "Vipre" before. The spelling seems strange.

Anyway, this is a good thread considering the recent problems with Java (Java 7 Update 11 at the time of this post, but I'm sure that the comment will be very relevant later). I've been a bit uncomfortable with the idea of leaving it to the built-in AV.

With that said, I can't buy AV at the moment. Thus I've been looking for a free solution. So far I'm running Panda Cloud AV. It has very good test results and is very light weight on the resources. It may be worth considering as a free solution.
m
l
January 27, 2013 10:11:29 AM

Best answer selected by Zorkel.
m
l
!