Sign in with
Your question

No boot after power outage

Last response: in Motherboards
October 17, 2012 6:50:14 PM

Hello, I was watching Felix do his jump when the power went down, so I turned of the contacts for the current and waited. Once the power was back I turned on the power to the pc and started it up, everything spins and works except there is no beep and the harddisks just spin erratically. nothing happens after the power up.

Iðve remooved every component one at a time waiting for the startup beep, and nothing, I suspect the motherboard to be damaged.

It's an Asus P6t
My question is, should I and or can I try some kind of reset???

More about : boot power outage

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 229 V Motherboard
October 17, 2012 7:41:00 PM

How did you determine the PSU is working properly?
a b V Motherboard
October 17, 2012 7:59:44 PM

Did you have it connected to a surge protector? If not, you should, and there is a variety of components that could be damaged, what was your PSU? A quality built PSU should only fail itself and not fry other components.
Related resources
October 18, 2012 10:03:10 AM

I'd bought A 650w psu a week before :sarcastic: 

Computer was working nicely for 4 days and then this power outage :( 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 103 V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 10:16:42 AM

Was the system connected to a surger protector or ups?
October 18, 2012 10:59:57 AM

bignastyid said:
Was the system connected to a surger protector or ups?

No, I pressed the power button a moment after the lights started dimming and the computer started making another sound, but I had no chance, the power went out bf the button kicked in.

In hindsight, it whould have been better to reach out behind the pc and just turn the psu off :( 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 103 V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 11:11:15 AM

OK so most likely the psu got fried and it probably took out most of the other hardware when it went. So when you buy your new computer invest $20 on a good surge protector.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 12:22:03 PM

While I always recommend a surge protector (they are a cheap investment), It is highly possible that in this case a surge protector would not have "saved" his system.

Surge protectors ONLY protect a system against HIGH amplitude (energy) spikes, ie a lightning hits the Power lines, or very close. It does Nothing to protect against low voltage such as a "brown out" or the Multiple on/off. Low voltage can also be deadly to a PSU. Reason is that the input circuit to the PSU will initially try to compensate for Low AC in. This causes excessive current. A "good" quality PSU should shut down (emphasis on Should), low quality PSU are less likely to shut down and "may "kill" the PSU. This causes both spikes on the Output DC volt rails and/or Low DC outputs which can damage the other computer parts.

Even if The "brown out" or sudden losses of power does not damage the PSU/MB/GPU/Ram, there is a good possibility that the HDD may be damaged and/or the loss of data or corrupted FAT or MBR. Depends on if the HDD was doing a write and where the write was being done (ie writting a file, or updating the FAT).

Bottom Line here is that it would be more advantagous (and Highly recommended) to use an UPS. Most UPSs have built in surge protector on input (I still use a surge protector in addition to an UPS). This will prevent the Brown out effect and eilimenate the "on/Off/on/off" that may occur. The UPS (at less decent ones) will keep power applied long enough to allow an orderly shut down, and if unattended will properly shut down the computer when battery time gets low.

On PSU - Please Identify which make and model - members can then determine if this is a PSU that is of good quality, or one that is best to use as a door stop and NEVER see the light of day inside a computer!

Next step for you is to try to determine which, if not all, components are bad. Use the troubleshooting guide for new Homebuilt systems.
Link to TS guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...
October 18, 2012 12:29:51 PM

I will get on it once I'm home from work :) 
October 18, 2012 12:50:22 PM

Asus P6T Intel® X58/ ICH10R chipset

Cooler Master GX - 650W Bronze

Intel Core i7 930 / 2.8 GHz

Nvidia GTX560 Ti

OCZ Reaper DDR3-1866 3x2048MB
PC3-15000, 1866MHz, CL 9-9-9-28

3x WD VelociRaptor - 150GB Running Raid5 (Parity)

All the info I can find + remember atm, will update!
October 18, 2012 1:02:09 PM

RetiredChief said:
While I always recommend a surge protector (they are a cheap investment), It is highly possible that in this case a surge protector would not have "saved" his system.

Surge protectors ONLY protect a system against HIGH amplitude (energy) spikes, ie a lightning hits the Power lines, or very close. It does Nothing to protect against low voltage such as a "brown out" or the Multiple on/off. Low voltage can also be deadly to a PSU. Reason is that the input circuit to the PSU will initially try to compensate for Low AC in. This causes excessive current. A "good" quality PSU should shut down (emphasis on Should), low quality PSU are less likely to shut down and "may "kill" the PSU. This causes both spikes on the Output DC volt rails and/or Low DC outputs which can damage the other computer parts.

Even if The "brown out" or sudden losses of power does not damage the PSU/MB/GPU/Ram, there is a good possibility that the HDD may be damaged and/or the loss of data or corrupted FAT or MBR. Depends on if the HDD was doing a write and where the write was being done (ie writting a file, or updating the FAT).

Bottom Line here is that it would be more advantagous (and Highly recommended) to use an UPS. Most UPSs have built in surge protector on input (I still use a surge protector in addition to an UPS). This will prevent the Brown out effect and eilimenate the "on/Off/on/off" that may occur. The UPS (at less decent ones) will keep power applied long enough to allow an orderly shut down, and if unattended will properly shut down the computer when battery time gets low.

On PSU - Please Identify which make and model - members can then determine if this is a PSU that is of good quality, or one that is best to use as a door stop and NEVER see the light of day inside a computer!

Next step for you is to try to determine which, if not all, components are bad. Use the troubleshooting guide for new Homebuilt systems.
Link to TS guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

This is probably the best definition of your problem you are going to get.

Personally i have a good PSU on my desktop at home (Spain), and since the electric power there is pure bullshit, i could get up to 20 blackouts in a summer. This has effectivly fried my monitor, and entire PC.
Since i have this high quality PSU (Thermaltake thoughtpower 700W), my new pc has survived 5+ years, so i recommend a good PSU and a good pwr surge protection later on (personally im already thinking of a SAI to keep my baby safe :D ).
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 1:11:43 PM

This is not a PSU I'd recommend after just a quick check.
NOTE there are two versions with and without the word "Bronze" The newer model with the Bronze attached is better than the orginal (Cooler master change OEM manufacture).

Read: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/GX650W_...

Then looking at Newegg reviews, I would have taken a pass on that PSU. As you may have found out saving a few dollar on a loower end PSU can cost you MUCH more in the end.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-171-...
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2012 1:34:28 PM

Yup, as I said before, from what I have read a quality PSU should fail without destroying other components, although it can still happen. When I began looking for PC components I began with a distrust of Coolermaster for anything, I am sorry, but if a company has to explain their greatness in their name I do not trust them lol.
October 18, 2012 11:24:58 PM

RetiredChief said:
This is not a PSU I'd recommend after just a quick check.
NOTE there are two versions with and without the word "Bronze" The newer modle with the Bronze attached is better than the orginal (Cooler master change OEM manufacture).

Read: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CoolerMaster/GX650W_...

Then looking at Newegg reviews, I would have taken a pass on that PSU. As you may have found out saving a few dollar on a loower end PSU can cost you MUCH more in the end.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-171-...

It is the bronze version, I'm about to send the pc to a certified shop now, my insurance company demands it.

Thing is, if my claim is valid, then my insurance company will get the money from the power company insurance. Does that make any sence lol

Anyway, crossing fingers and hoping for a healthy return on cash :sarcastic: 
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
October 19, 2012 12:54:16 AM

Here's wishing you good luck.
PS - Get a Good UPS and protect the investment in a new, or repaired, system.
!