GA-X58-USB3 Turning itself off

kalin767

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
My brother's PC was shutting itself down from time to time randomly. He then asked me to clean it up and reconnect stuff.
After cleaning everything up with a brush and reconnecting stuff he would simply stay on for long enough to start windows and then turn off itself. After the first start up it turns itself off even before windows starting. I've checked connections more than once and tested the PC without any component besides mobo, processor, ram and PSU and it would still turn itself off in a matter of 5-10 seconds. I bought a fresh new PSU for it and it still does the same thing. The only beep the AwardBIOS gives me is the short beep, meaning all is clear. I've cleared CMOS and still did not find what is making it turn off. Any help?

PC Specs
Mobo: GA-X58-USB3
Processor: i7 950 - No overclock
Ram: Kingston KVR1333D3N9/ 4gb 1.5v
VGA: XFX HD 5750 1gb ddr5
PSU: Thermaltake 600w TR2
HD: WD Green Caviar 1.0 TB

Solution
The CPU could overheat in 5 seconds with a poorly contacted heatsink. Do you have some good thermal paste like arctic silver 5 or equivalent? Also - check the BIOS to see if there is a section that configures the machine to shutdown when X temperature is exceeded. If your BIOS is defaulting that to, say 70*, its real easy to hit that when the PC is on for 30 seconds or less.

Also check the BIOS for the voltage being set to either AUTO or hard set to an abnormally high voltage.

festerovic

Distinguished
Have you installed the heatsink and thermal paste correctly? I would redo it to be sure. Watch a video on youtube on how to do it properly if you have any doubt.

2nd guess - the motherboard is bad. Doubtful you have a spare x58 to test with, maybe a local PC shop could run diagnostics on it?

kalin767

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012
I did not remove the CPU while cleaning up the PC, but My second guess after the PSU problems was a CPU overheat. But would it shut it off so fast? It only runs for 5-10 seconds.

I only got and AM2+ and a P67 board to test it, can't test mobo issues, gotta eliminate the other ones.

axelb

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
There is dozens of problems that might cause this, when it happened to me it was a bad mobo AND a bad CPU. You can easily find a list of to-do on google pretty easily.
Good luck!

kalin767

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

I'll make tests out of the case today.

I've checked most of google stuff, like PSU problems, beep checking and CMOS clearing, none helped sadly. I'm afraid it might be a bad mobo, but I'll try CPU heat problems before checking this.

festerovic

Distinguished
The CPU could overheat in 5 seconds with a poorly contacted heatsink. Do you have some good thermal paste like arctic silver 5 or equivalent? Also - check the BIOS to see if there is a section that configures the machine to shutdown when X temperature is exceeded. If your BIOS is defaulting that to, say 70*, its real easy to hit that when the PC is on for 30 seconds or less.

Also check the BIOS for the voltage being set to either AUTO or hard set to an abnormally high voltage.

Solution

kalin767

Honorable
Oct 17, 2012

Real thanks for the help, I'll get some thermal paste and do the reinstal of the processor, as for the BIOS check, I don't know if I'll have enought time to check it, but will try to. My brother is starting to go mad without his computer.