Sign in with
Your question

My 2500k is getting way too hot.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 29, 2011 8:06:03 PM

I have a brand new Cyberpower PC with an i5-2500K. It is liquid cooled with an Asetek 510lc. Idle temperatures for my CPU are usually 40 Celsius, give or take 5 degrees. When playing a game for a short time, they can easily exceed 70 degrees, and they can probably go higher than that if I played longer. I seriously need help with this problem. I've only been able to play a few games on my new computer because I'm so scared. Any tips are appreciated, thanks.

More about : 2500k hot

a b à CPUs
December 29, 2011 8:08:39 PM

check the fan and heatsink installation and maybe reapply thermal paste. also check for air flow in your case.
m
l
December 29, 2011 8:22:23 PM

My fan and heatsink are applied fine(I think, I don't see any problems). I don't have any thermal paste, I ordered it custom prebuilt from Cyberpower, so there should be thermal paste already applied, and I just got it on Christmas. Also, even though I do have bad air flow in my case(Which I do plan on fixing soon), that can't be the main problem, since I rarely see my GTX 570 going over 70 Celsius. It seems to only be my CPU.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2011 8:26:58 PM

you can try to remove the CPU heatsink and see if there is thermal paste and if its spread well. can you still send the pc back to have it repaired? if so, you might as well do so.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2011 8:36:50 PM

idle temps and load temps seem way too high--unless you are in a very hot country--whats the room temp?

for comparison my new 2600k build at 5ghz idles at about 25c and only gets in the mid 50 c range playing arkham

city at highest settings also with an overclocked gtx570 in there--though i have excellent airflow in my case--thats

using realtemp--the asus software reads the temps lower

and thats with my cctv software also running at the same time which uses about 20% cpu when recording

room temp here is only 18c to 20c

using a corsair h80 which isnt much above your cooler just a thicker radiator

is your cpu overclocked?

and have you one or 2 fans on the radiator?

and is speedstep enabled so the voltage drops when its idle?
m
l
December 29, 2011 8:40:15 PM

I can try that, I just don't like going inside my computer. To remove the heatsink, wouldn't I have to remove the motherboard? Or can I do it with it still in my case? The reason I don't want to open my case is because I'm terrified of static electricity.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2011 8:42:09 PM

you don't have to remove the motherboard, you might need a screw driver depending on what kind of heatsink you have. just ground yourself on something big and metal first(the case will do) to remove static.
m
l
December 29, 2011 9:03:57 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
idle temps and load temps seem way too high--unless you are in a very hot country--whats the room temp?

for comparison my new 2600k build at 5ghz idles at about 25c and only gets in the mid 50 c range playing arkham

city at highest settings also with an overclocked gtx570 in there--though i have excellent airflow in my case--thats

using realtemp--the asus software reads the temps lower

and thats with my cctv software also running at the same time which uses about 20% cpu when recording

room temp here is only 18c to 20c

using a corsair h80 which isnt much above your cooler just a thicker radiator

is your cpu overclocked?

and have you one or 2 fans on the radiator?

and is speedstep enabled so the voltage drops when its idle?

My room temperature is probably 19-22c. Usually I have nothing running except Dolby Axon, some G19 applets, Steam, and maybe like Speedfan or Real Temp while playing a game. My CPU is running at stock speed, 3.3 GHz. My radiator has only one fan. I now think there is probably a problem with the CPU itself.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2011 9:06:42 PM

to remove that heatsink you need a screwdriver--loosen the 4 screws--dont take them right out--rotate the

heatsink anti-clockwise in the retaining ring then lift it up

though this may void your warranty depending on the company you bought it from--and you may want to have some thermal paste handy if you need to re-apply some

to refit its the opposite of taking it out but you need to tighten the screws by doing number 1 first then 3 then 2 then 4 so it pulls down evenly
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2011 9:39:16 PM

just out of interest whats the cpu voltage if you run cpuz?
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
December 29, 2011 9:50:56 PM

Try running hw monitor also!
m
l
December 29, 2011 10:02:55 PM

So, I called Cyberpower, they're sending me a new water cooler to install. The guy on the line said they've had some other people calling with a similar problem with this same cooler. Thanks for your support. If you still want me to post my CPU-Z and HWMonitor stuff I can, though I don't see how it's necessary.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2011 10:05:35 PM

wont hurt just to make sure its not auto overvolting the cpu

could be the pump in your cooler then if they have others with the same problem
m
l
December 29, 2011 10:38:26 PM

What info from CPU-Z should I post?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2011 10:42:13 PM

the core voltage

idle and load--it should go up when under load
m
l
December 29, 2011 11:19:21 PM

The voltage doesn't change, it stays at 1.044V load and idle.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2011 11:25:33 PM

thats close enough on idle--my 2600k is 1.00v on idle

though it should go up under load--still its 1-30am here now and my brain is starting to not function

are you ok with replacing the cooler?

heres the guide--though it should come with the new one

edit

forgot the link--see brain shutting down

http://www.asetek.com/company/support/installation-guid...

m
l
!