Sign in with
Your question

CPU HELP NEEDED for MW3

Last response: in CPUs
December 29, 2011 9:10:47 PM

One of my computers has been working fine for my gaming needs now since 2006. I got a new computer and gave this one to my brother but it isn't going to be able to handle Modern Warfare 3 (according to "Can You Run IT").

The Game is Modern Warfare 3
MW2 ran perfect and I had tons of head room

My processor is Intel Core 2 E6400 @ 2.13GHz on a LGA 775 Socket
My Motherboard is a Asus P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe board

I have tons of memory and hard disk space so this is just a CPU quesiton.

I looked at the motherboard's CPU List and didn't see anything compatible with it that could run MW3 - I Think (wanted to buy the Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 which runs on the LGA 775 Socket but it isn't listed for my Motherboard on Asus's website).

How can I get this game to run? FOR AS LITTLE MONEY AS POSSIBLE!!!

Would I be able to buy a different fan and try overclocking for the first time EVER or am I going to need a new motherboard AND a new Processor?

Please keep in mind this computer was given to my younger brother that doesn't work yet and has no money... I am going to get it to run MW3 since that is the only reason he wanted it but need to keep the cost down. I just upgraded the memory to 4 GB about 4 months before I gave it to him and don't want to spend the rest of my bank roll on his machine.

Please help!

More about : cpu needed mw3

a c 866 à CPUs
a c 1131 V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 9:18:58 PM

Overclock your CPU! Buying the fan/cooler is the cheapest upgrade.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 9:24:36 PM

If you can you should overclock but your cpu should be good enough, its going to rely on your gpu which you probably need to upgrade.
m
l
Related resources
December 29, 2011 9:44:52 PM

My GPU was upgraded over the summer and is a Radeon HD 5770 Hawk 1GB from MSI so I know that is enough to handle MW3. My memory upgrade took the machine to 4 GB DDR2 so I know that is fine.

My question would be can my processor be overclocked enough to handle the needs of MW3?

It looked like on the "Can You Run It" website thing that I was just short of the min requirements but don't know what that relates to in terms of GHz.

Don't forget I only have a Intel Core 2 6400 @ 2.13 GHz from 2006.

esrever - you said my processor should be enough to run it as is. How big of a guess is that... I would hate for my brother to pay 60.00 for game that doesn't run and might not be able to. I say this because I myself don't know for sure as I have always used things like that "Can You Run It" program to tell me.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 9:49:21 PM

your gpu will probably still be your limiting factor but you should be able to OC it quite a bit.
m
l
December 29, 2011 9:52:54 PM

esrever... any idea where I can find very simple instructions on how to over clock this processor (I have never ever tried before because of my knowledge base - or lack there of - and the fact I am just not comfortable trying to do it on the fly)

Also, any rec on CPU FAN... not water cooling... just a good fan to attempt overclock with.

And also, what should I be looking for in overclocking... taking it to the 3.0 GHz or less?
m
l
December 29, 2011 10:00:41 PM

MonkeyMan806 said:
One of my computers has been working fine for my gaming needs now since 2006. I got a new computer and gave this one to my brother but it isn't going to be able to handle Modern Warfare 3 (according to "Can You Run IT").

The Game is Modern Warfare 3
MW2 ran perfect and I had tons of head room

My processor is Intel Core 2 E6400 @ 2.13GHz on a LGA 775 Socket
My Motherboard is a Asus P5N32 SLI SE Deluxe board

I have tons of memory and hard disk space so this is just a CPU quesiton.

I looked at the motherboard's CPU List and didn't see anything compatible with it that could run MW3 - I Think (wanted to buy the Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 which runs on the LGA 775 Socket but it isn't listed for my Motherboard on Asus's website).

How can I get this game to run? FOR AS LITTLE MONEY AS POSSIBLE!!!

Would I be able to buy a different fan and try overclocking for the first time EVER or am I going to need a new motherboard AND a new Processor?

Please keep in mind this computer was given to my younger brother that doesn't work yet and has no money... I am going to get it to run MW3 since that is the only reason he wanted it but need to keep the cost down. I just upgraded the memory to 4 GB about 4 months before I gave it to him and don't want to spend the rest of my bank roll on his machine.

Please help!

If it runs MW2 it will run MW3
m
l
December 29, 2011 10:09:28 PM

Headspin_69 said:
If it runs MW2 it will run MW3

What makes you say this? I am not questioning you just trying to understand.

When I run "Can You Run IT" for MW2 The little bar comes up and the green line (min reqs.) shows up a little more than 1/4 of the way and my computing power fills the entire bar up (which is why I said I had head room as well).

Then when I run the same program for MW3 the bar comes up and the green line is a little more than 1/4 of the across and my computing power falls about 1/8 of an inch on my screen short of hitting the min reqs.

and below is a list of all parts of PC with green checks next to each one except my processor which has a red x and says I do not have enough processing power... so something along those lines.

Since this, again, is now my brothers PC I am just trying to make sure it can run MW3 before he blows his X-mas money on a game that can't run it

Thanks again for everyones help
m
l
December 29, 2011 10:11:48 PM

esrever said:
http://www.asusreviews.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6

I'd say you'd be able to take it pass 3ghz if you have a good mb and a good fan but even with the stock fan you should be able to get at least 2.5 2.6 ghz.

getting a fan would be a waste unless you want to use in future systems but the hyper 212+ is always a good fan.
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=41337

Awesome, thanks for the links

But just to make sure I understand... are you saying I can overclock with the stock CPU Fan?
m
l
December 29, 2011 10:13:25 PM

MonkeyMan806 said:
What makes you say this? I am not questioning you just trying to understand.

When I run "Can You Run IT" for MW2 The little bar comes up and the green line (min reqs.) shows up a little more than 1/4 of the way and my computing power fills the entire bar up (which is why I said I had head room as well).

Then when I run the same program for MW3 the bar comes up and the green line is a little more than 1/4 of the across and my computing power falls about 1/8 of an inch on my screen short of hitting the min reqs.

and below is a list of all parts of PC with green checks next to each one except my processor which has a red x and says I do not have enough processing power... so something along those lines.

Since this, again, is now my brothers PC I am just trying to make sure it can run MW3 before he blows his X-mas money on a game that can't run it

Thanks again for everyones help

The Graphics Engine has not changed one bit from MW2 and MW3 has very very low requirements.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 29, 2011 10:13:40 PM

the 2 games uses basically the same engine and will run the same as both were coded for the xbox 360. The requirements don't really change that much.

Most company over estimate requirements cause they either want to make their game look more graphically intensive or they don't want to deal with people complaining about game running slow.
m
l
December 29, 2011 10:44:34 PM

Oh... so this might be a mute issue then. Like I said I just went off Can I Run IT and it hasn't let me down yet but I understand what you guys are saying.

I was shocked when I ran it to it required so much as I new the graphics hadn't really been improved. I mean geting the return of negative on BF3 I understood but MW3 was a shock.

Maybe I will tell him to buy it on steam and try to run it... if it doesn't I guess I will try to over clock this pig to something that gets him buy.

My new computer was built so I couldn't keep him off mine and just give him this one because I knew he would be over the top crazy about MW3

Thanks guys
m
l
December 31, 2011 11:30:08 AM

OK... thought I would update the results of MW3 on my old system:

Intel Core 2 E6400 @ 2.13 GHZ
Asus P5n32 SLI SE Deluxe
4 GB DDR2 Memory (only running 32 bit so it doesn't see all of it)
Radeon HD R5770 Hawk from MSI

Downloaded the game and guess what... IT RAN PERFECT!

Single player, multiplayer and Spec Ops all ran perfect without any issue what so ever. Settings are mid to upper from the game auto setting it up - So I was very happy it didn't have to run at crappy settings.

There was one single player level (about 5 missions in) that loaded a little slow, had just a little lag at the start then half way through the mission it continued to run with sound and what not but went to a solid black screen... thought that would be the end of the game on this system but a window from Steam opened with a button to update catalyst and then everything was perfect. No searching for fixes and no over clocking need (happy about that as I just don't feel comfortable doing it by myself)

Needed Specs of the game are way over stated IMO... E6400 ran it like a champ.

Thanks everyone for there help and now my brother can stay off my new rig :) 
m
l
December 31, 2011 11:41:53 AM

MonkeyMan806 said:
OK... thought I would update the results of MW3 on my old system:

Intel Core 2 E6400 @ 2.13 GHZ
Asus P5n32 SLI SE Deluxe
4 GB DDR2 Memory (only running 32 bit so it doesn't see all of it)
Radeon HD R5770 Hawk from MSI

Downloaded the game and guess what... IT RAN PERFECT!

Single player, multiplayer and Spec Ops all ran perfect without any issue what so ever. Settings are mid to upper from the game auto setting it up - So I was very happy it didn't have to run at crappy settings.

There was one single player level (about 5 missions in) that loaded a little slow, had just a little lag at the start then half way through the mission it continued to run with sound and what not but went to a solid black screen... thought that would be the end of the game on this system but a window from Steam opened with a button to update catalyst and then everything was perfect. No searching for fixes and no over clocking need (happy about that as I just don't feel comfortable doing it by myself)

Needed Specs of the game are way over stated IMO... E6400 ran it like a champ.

Thanks everyone for there help and now my brother can stay off my new rig :) 

Never trust that "can you run it" thing and never trust the game Developers system recommendations.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2012 7:08:09 AM

also you can run it on a pemtium duel core or amd athlon 64 x2

i have athlon 64 x2 2.7ghz 65nm and hd6770, and it runs at around 60fps at extra settings at 1920x1200

mw2 and mw3 seems well coded games
m
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
January 11, 2012 7:16:53 AM

You do realise can you run it is fake? Apparently my 560ti has 4gb of vram in it!???? :lol: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 11, 2012 8:31:28 AM

DO NOT TRUST Can you run it?, it's a PoS site. E6400 is still plenty for an game that's built on an old engine, the same goes for the 5770. With my Q8200 & HD 4850 @ 1280x1024 i ran it at about 60-70 fps with everything on max.
Install the game and see for yourself.
m
l
January 11, 2012 12:47:53 PM

My old computer was a Core 2 duo E6750, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 9600 GT and it ran MW3 fine. Just tweak your settings like any other computer game by turning down unnecessary graphic settings for lower end machines (shadows / reflections and anti-aliasing).

Update the video drivers and you should be ok to run the game.
m
l
January 11, 2012 5:18:43 PM

Agree with everyone else. my old pc ran modern warfare 2 fine on an e6750@2.6 2gb ddr2 8800GT on win xp.

I dont own mw3 but it doesnt look any different from what ive seen than MW2.
m
l
January 11, 2012 5:31:18 PM

hello dude i will make it simple core 2 duo are good for mw3 you just need to have a good gpu to run on good fps and ya overcloking is an another great cheap option u can buy cooler master hyper 212+ and overclocke like 800mhz or 1000mhz your cpu u will be able to play at very good fps
m
l
February 3, 2012 6:24:09 PM

Yes, Tweak your settings. You do not really need any eye candy in this game...

Anyway, I just pieced together a system from parts i had for a buddy to play MW3

Main Specs are:
CPU: AMD athlon 64 x2 5200+
GPU: GTX 260 896 Maxcore 55
RAM: 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800MHz

I tweaked my settings and also the "seta" commands in the config file and i have no issues whatsoever. I have yet to run fraps to see what my FPS is at, but the game does not feel choppy in 18 man TDM.

Dont let those websites tell you what you need to play the game...

Here is a link to the list of commands in the config file you can mess with.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=...
m
l
!