Best Low Buck upgrade for E6700

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Okay yet one more Dino of a System wandered into my shop it has a socket 775 Dual core E6700 CPU 4g of Ram Stock Heat Sink Gtx 460 1g

Don't get my wrong I love Old Iron and Old Silicon but is it really worth the time and money to upgrade this system, the girl I am doing this for is a Friend of my Wife she is a "Gamer" claims it is running slow and Lagging I put a Clean Win7 U 64 on it Killed all the Areo and unneeded Services so I know it isn't OS related

Even used on Fleabay a Q9550 or Q6600 costs almost as much as a New I5-2400k and QX will set you back more then an I7

are there any sub reasonable upgrades that can be made to this system that you would even notice when gaming ?

SSD is an option but this board is 650SLi doesn't have ahci so upgrading the firmware on most SSD's would be a pain.

Open to Suggestions

P.S. if you ever run a PC repair shop and decide to close it NEVER tell anyone I have been freebee repairs for "friends" and "Family" for years and I closed my shop in 1995

Solution
1 gb should be plenty of video memory since it doesn't have any effects on gaming at 1080p going any higher. her computer should be able to play all that on at least medium, thats weird. I think it would be best to just OC as much as you can on the cpu as there isn't much to be done.

the 1 460 is as powerful as that cpu can handle and she has all the ram and vram she needs.

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

there in lies the Rub I can OC this Proc 10 or 15 Percent and keep the temp in the normal range anymore then that and the stock cooler won't hold up and any good coolers that I have used in the past that I would trust are 80 to 120 now.

maybe I could add a second 460GTX those are around 100 bucks now used or refurb.

I just think even with a mild OC the CPU couldn't handle 2 460's

belezeebub

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009

She and her kids play some pretty new games BF, S Wow and she is pushing a 24" monitor A total upgrade is out of the question she can play at Low to med would like to be able to play med+ settings.
I am thinking she is running out of Video memory and that is the issue she is trying to thorw too much eye candy in.

1 gb should be plenty of video memory since it doesn't have any effects on gaming at 1080p going any higher. her computer should be able to play all that on at least medium, thats weird. I think it would be best to just OC as much as you can on the cpu as there isn't much to be done.

the 1 460 is as powerful as that cpu can handle and she has all the ram and vram she needs.

Solution