SLI, 2D/3D Surround and Sync Polarity

If you want to run 3 monitors in 2D surround, Nvidia requires each monitor to run at the same resolution, the same refresh rate and to have the same sync polarity:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2668/kw/surround

The safe way to set this up would be to just use three identical monitors.

But if you can't get a hold of two additional monitors that are the same model as your primary, how do you determine the sync polarity of a given monitor?

This isn't normally listed among the other monitor specs. Not even in most monitors' manuals?

Thanks in advance.

slickpuss

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Ive actually found that I have two same model monitors and they actually have different sync polarities. So buy them at the same time, because mine were only manufactured like one year apart.

Its a serious pain for sure, because for some reason buying the monitors at the same time usually costing over $600 bucks on top of the 400 to 600 for the video cards which quickly makes you not really want the surround setup as much.

Dayday831

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
I didn't check for sync-polarity, but I knew they had to share the same resolution. I bought my 2nd & 3rd monitors 4 years after the first 1, and didn't have any problems at all.
I had my Asus since 2009, and bought 2 more Acers a couple months ago. The only problems I have, are the heights. None of them are adjustable, so I have the Asus sitting on something to raise it. Also the brightness/colors are different, it is still worth it to me.

Couldn't you buy the monitors, and if they are not compatible, return them?

GrandTheftAngel

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1697040
well the above link is a good read if you bought your monitors at different times...

I still don't understand what sync polarity is? There seems to be no way to determine it and there is no clear definition I can find online of what it means.

TRENDING THREADS