Sign in with
Your question
Solved

For same price, ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 or ASRock Z77 Extreme4?

Last response: in Motherboards
October 18, 2012 3:04:48 AM

Desktop's PSU seems to be bad, damaged capacitors on my MOBO. CPU is LGA 1366, so I'm going to switch to LGA 1155

Which is why I need: New PSU, MOBO, and CPU

I bought the MOBO the other day, an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) for $175 after a mail in rebate.

I'm new/naive in this area (probably the most important one, unfortunately) of expertise and didn't notice it's a Z68 board, and not a Z77.

If I RMA the board, I receive $150 (plus the $25 mail in rebate I'll eventually receive), so I basically get my full $175 back. Shipping it should cost around $10; so I get ~$165 back.

I found this board: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...) and, thanks to shipping to Puerto Rico, it'd be bumped up to $160

So; I basically will not be gaining or losing any money. Which is the better board?

PS: Yes, I plan to buy new fans too, since overheating might be the cause for the capacitors.

Best solution

October 18, 2012 5:44:52 AM

I've worked on one system that used the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 and loved it.

I am building embedded systems using ASROCK Z77 boards, and while I am happy with them, supporting the customers who use them has become somewhat of an issue. Almost all tech support inquires directly relate to issues with the motherboard and its firmware.
a c 125 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 18, 2012 8:05:24 AM

Unless there is something specifically about the z77 chipset that you need, the Asus board is the better board.
Related resources
October 18, 2012 10:30:20 AM

Dr_JRE said:
I've worked on one system that used the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 and loved it.

I am building embedded systems using ASROCK Z77 boards, and while I am happy with them, supporting the customers who use them has become somewhat of an issue. Almost all tech support inquires directly relate to issues with the motherboard and its firmware.

Thanks. I also keep reading mixed reviews about the ASROCK; some say it's fantastic, others have issues with it day 1, and many have had issues with the RMA if they are dealing with the manufacturer.

abekl said:
Unless there is something specifically about the z77 chipset that you need, the Asus board is the better board.

So I did good in buying that MOBO when it was on sale? I was planning to buy ASUS P8Z77-V LX in the first place, which is listed $140 on newegg (which would be ~$165 for me thanks to shipping), but since that one was about the same thanks to the sale (after all the price cuts, shipping, and when I get my mail in rebate, I would've paid $175; $10 more than the MOBO i was originally looking at)

So, is it safe to say that it's a great MOBO for $175 and that I should not be looking for any other options to RMA it, even if they are Z77 at around the same price range?
a c 125 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 18, 2012 11:51:30 AM

Yes, it's a really good MB that you got
October 28, 2012 11:11:13 AM

Best answer selected by plutonicmind9.
!