July 28, 2011 12:50:05 PM

Hi all,
First off, my pc specs
CPU - i7 2600k
Mobo - Asus P8P67 Pro
Ram - Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz (4 gb
)GPU - MSI GTX 580 Lightning
PSU - Corsair TX 750W

tats enuf i guess.. So, I ran a few games and i must say that i am NOT getting satisfactory FPS in them.. I run at 1920x1080..
Ran Witcher 2 at maximum specs and Uber Sampling turned on and got 17-25 fps average..
Assasins Creed Brotherhood gives 25-30 average..
There is a switch on the top of the card that says Original on one side and LN2 on the other side.. I am guessing that it is used to turn on the factory overclocking settings.. I am running it at stock speeds now (774 Mhz).. Should i switch it over to 832 Mhz if i want decent fps or is something wrong with my card? Plz help.. I have the latest driver installed..

More about : msi gtx 580 lightning giving low fps

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 5:36:44 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Graphics & Displays by Grumpy9117
July 28, 2011 6:02:40 PM

On stock settings the 580 should be eatting those games for breakfast. Most cards underclock to save power at idle, your card probably stays underclocked giving you those *** frames. Download nvidia inspector and check your clocks while gaming.
Related resources
a c 678 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 6:21:55 PM

Keep the BIOS switch at Original. LN2 is a special setting for extreme overclocking with nitrogen. The first step is to uninstall the drivers and then install the latest ones from the Nvidia website. Do not use the drivers provided on the installation CD. Which driver version are you using?

The best way to check your clock speeds is with MSI Afterburner.
http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
a c 678 U Graphics card
July 28, 2011 6:27:28 PM

"Along the PCB’s edge are three DIP switches with a fourth being located near the PCI-E slot connector. The main grouping of three includes an OPC Unlocker that allows the core to ignore any power limiter that has been placed upon it, a V-Switch for quick voltage tuning and a PWM Clock Tuner which essentially overclocks the PWM clock to 310Mhz from the reference 260Mhz. The fourth switch is dubbed XtremeCool for working around the GTX 580’s “cold bug” and should be used when overclocking with LN2.

Next to the three main DIP switches is a toggle used for quick BIOS switching. The Lightning holds two BIOSes onboard; one of which houses the standard overclocked file and another which is tailor-made for high end cooling solutions since it implements aggressive voltage presets. When used in conjunction with the XtremeCool toggle, this should allow extreme overclockers to completely bypass the dreaded GF110 cold bug."
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...

"At the backside you'll also spot a number of switches. These are for the die-hard overclocked cooling with LN2 etc. OCP Unlock Switch removes over current protection, unlocked GPU and MEM voltage switches. it's wise to leave these switches as is, unless you plan to sub-zero cool the GPU and other essential components.

The bigger switch to your right is a BIOS switch, and allows you to drop back to the default bios should you by accident have messed up the initial bios with an OC firmware profile, of course you can also use the 2nd BIOS and optimize and flash that with a tweaked profile."
http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-580-light...
July 29, 2011 6:42:17 AM

Thnks for the replies. Well my card is supposed to run at 832 mhz - gpu clock but it was running at 772 mhz (std reference card speed). The switch was at original. The other three switches are untouched.

Last night, i switched the switch from Original to LN2 and reinstalled the drivers from start. I am getting the 832 mhz factory overclock and good fps in brotherhood.. Witcher 2 still just gives me 30-40 (but that could be due to uber sampling -_-)

Anyway, My settings get fine when i switch it to LN2 but from your replies, i can see that it has to be used only when cooling with LN2.. So, is it advisable to leave the switch at LN2 without external cooling? Is there any way for me to get my 832 mhz while keeping the switch at the "original" position?
July 29, 2011 6:54:37 AM

brandondiep said:
On stock settings the 580 should be eatting those games for breakfast. Most cards underclock to save power at idle, your card probably stays underclocked giving you those *** frames. Download nvidia inspector and check your clocks while gaming.

Well.. I use GPU-Z n when i checked it with my last settings.. (i.e when my bios switch was in the "original" position), it used to show that my base clock was 772 mhz rather than 832 mhz. Im afraid i did not check what the current clock levels wer when i was gaming. Now i have the switch in the "LN2" position, and base clock shows 832 mhz and i checked my current clock levels.. It runs underclocked while idling and runs at full 832 mhz when gaming.
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2011 6:59:38 AM

You should be able to leave the switch in either position and get your overclock through Afterburner. 832 mhz isn't pushing that card too hard, if you were running it on LN2 you'd be pushing it past 1000. On water, people get it to the mid 900s.
July 29, 2011 7:03:58 AM

cuecuemore said:
You should be able to leave the switch in either position and get your overclock through Afterburner. 832 mhz isn't pushing that card too hard, if you were running it on LN2 you'd be pushing it past 1000. On water people get it to the mid 900s.

I am not getting the factory overclock settings when i leave it at original position. I am going to continue using my gpu's stock cooler. When i use at original position, i get only 772 mhz and bad fps in games. I tried overclocking the card to the factory overclock settings and running the games but the sad part was that i did not get good fps even then. Now after switchin over to LN2 position, i am getting the 832 mhz and i get loads better fps. :o  I am confused why the same fps wasnt delivered when i overclocked the card. and why i am not getting the factory overclock settings when the switch is in the original position. :( 
July 29, 2011 7:05:06 AM

Uber sampling does kill fps but yeah you would be better off overclocking with afterburner.
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2011 7:12:19 AM

sanzo2402 said:
I am confused why the same fps wasnt delivered when i overclocked the card. and why i am not getting the factory overclock settings when the switch is in the original position. :( 

I'm confused too, but you seem to have figured it out, luckily. Could have something to do with settings in your Nvidia control panel, but they've made that a lot more user friendly as of late, and I'm not sure that a BIOS switch would/could change any of that.
a c 678 U Graphics card
July 29, 2011 3:24:21 PM

There are actually 3 BIOS switch positions: original, backup, and LN2. Did you try the original and the backup positions? Either of those would be preferable to the LN2 position. It's too bad you have to jerry rig a brand new card to get it to work.
!