warnockdavid

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
My system has 8GB of ram installed. It doesn't ever appear to use more than 2 to 3GB. Do I need to adjust something to use more? For example I am in the process of copying 959,000 files from an external Seagate 3TB HDD to one of my 2TD WD internal drives. It is painfully slow. Task Manager says I'm using about 1.4G, 18% of available Ram. This does seem to make sense.The copy is the only non system processs running. How can I optimize memory usage to get the most out of my ram?

DIY
Windows 8 64 bit
ASUS M5A99XEVO Motherboard
AMD Phenom X4 955 CPU
HIS HD 5670 Video
ACER LCD X233H Monitor
8 MB Corsair Vengeance 1333MHZ DDR3 RAM
2 WD BLK 2 TB SATA HDD
OCZ GameXtstream 1010W PSU
LIAN LI A80 Armoursuit Case

Solution
Windows takes care of allocating memory, the application itself may have a max/min for the amount of RAM it can use (SQL server as an example). What makes you think your PC isn't utilizing your RAM? Each program is only going to use as much as it needs, providing it more than that is not going to increase performance.
File copying really doesn't have anything to do with RAM.

Copying speed is based on drive speed (and in this case USB speed, too). When you combine two mechanical HDD's and add USB speed to the mix, too, things can get bottlenecked. Not really much you can do about that.

warnockdavid

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Sorry, you are right, I used a bad example.

The question regarding memory utilization still stands. Shouldn't my utilization be
higher at times? Also, is there a way to allocate memory to specific applications?

chugot9218

Honorable
Windows takes care of allocating memory, the application itself may have a max/min for the amount of RAM it can use (SQL server as an example). What makes you think your PC isn't utilizing your RAM? Each program is only going to use as much as it needs, providing it more than that is not going to increase performance.

Solution

davidstipek

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

One thing he could do... if he has a PS2 oulet, is to find a USB/PS2 adapter. PS2 is faster then USB!

So plugging USB into adapter would ncrease his transfer data speed greatly... The bottleneck between the HDD's would be reamed considerably!