Closed Solved

First build PC crashes while gaming

Ok, I'm new to tom's hardware, so hello everyone.

This is my first pc build. All has gone great so far except for the issue in the title. I tested this with two different games so far (Skyrim and APB Reloaded). **HD 3000 integrated graphics**

What happens is, I begin to play the games with all 4 x 4GB ram sticks and my games crash within 5 minutes. Once crashed I have to power the pc off and back on.

But oddly enough, if I play the games with just one 4GB ram stick all works fine. So this lead me to believe that maybe I had some bad ram sticks.

I ran memtest86 five different times. The first four tests were with one different 4GB ram stick installed for each test. On the fifth test I ran all 4 x 4GB ram sticks. After all tests, no errors were shown.

I have tried googling my issue but haven't had much luck.

I wonder if maybe something is overheating, but HWMonitor seems to think everything is fine. Also I have wondered about my PSU, but I wouldn't think it would be the cause because its 850w and supposedly a good PSU.

BTW yes I have updated my bios. :)

Although, I have not messed with any settings in the bios.

Is there a chance that some voltages are set wrong?

This is my build:

Case: Silverstone Raven RV03
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
CPU: i5 2500k @ 3.3GHz (stock clock)
Memory: G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage (1.25V) Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 500GB
PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850w

GPU: Gigabyte 6850 Windforce (still in mail :bounce: )

Thanks for the help everyone!
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about first build crashes gaming
  1. Is it stable with 2 modules? Are you running 4 modules at 1.25v or 1.35v?
  2. I've been running all 4 at 1.25v and yes 2 are stable. It's funny you mention the 1.35v. I just now was reading a topic on that.

Thanks for the input though
  3. Best answer
    The same modules, when bought as a kit of 4, are rated at 1.35v.
  4. Best answer selected by aaron4820.
  5. Thanks for the help GhislainG
  6. Thanks for the best answer. You should game for several hours to make sure that it's stable.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Components