Writing a "Bluetooth Detector" program?

Last response: in Technologies
August 21, 2004 11:53:43 PM

Hi group,

sorry if this is a totally newbie thing to ask, but is it possible (on
a conceptual level, at least) to create a program that listens for new
Bluetooth devices coming into its range (for instance, a new pair of
Bluetooth headphones) and print some sort of identifying ID on screen.

I.e. "Headset with the ID
"154.AF3.whatever.the.hell.kind.of.ID.Bluetooth.Devs.have.1" has just
entered the premises."

Would it also be possible to detect, say, cell phones or pocket pc's
which have their Bluetooth turned on?

Thanks in advance
Nootch
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 11:53:44 PM

Nootch dude,

Not only is this possible, but you could probably make some money on this
program. You really ought to do this, and please post your results in this
group.

While you are writing this device driver (hint, hint, upper filter driver),
go to this group for questions you may have:

microsoft.public.development.device.drivers

They are very helpful.

> sorry if this is a totally newbie thing to ask, but is it possible (on
> a conceptual level, at least) to create a program that listens for new
> Bluetooth devices coming into its range (for instance, a new pair of
> Bluetooth headphones) and print some sort of identifying ID on screen.
>
> I.e. "Headset with the ID
> "154.AF3.whatever.the.hell.kind.of.ID.Bluetooth.Devs.have.1" has just
> entered the premises."

> Would it also be possible to detect, say, cell phones or pocket pc's
> which have their Bluetooth turned on?

I don't see why not.

--
------------------
Jesse O. Glidden

Hi,

there are two programs that do exactly what you want!

BlueFOAF http://usefulinc.com/edd/blog/contents/2004/02/01-bluef...
btChat http://www.mulliner.org/bluetooth/btchat/

I wrote btChat and I can say that it should be very easy to port this to
windows. Just take a look at my screenshots.

.... Collin

--
Collin R. Mulliner <collin@betaversion.net>
BETAVERSiON Systems [www.betaversion.net]

Nice, Collin!

I had a feeling about this, but I'm always trying to get people to repeat
efforts because new things are always discovered.

But tell me,

did you do it with a lower or upper filter driver, or something altogether
different? I'm using the Windows WDM paradigm-speak here.

------------------
Jesse O. Glidden
http://www.USBDevWare.com
jesse@usbdevware.com

> there are two programs that do exactly what you want!
>
> BlueFOAF http://usefulinc.com/edd/blog/contents/2004/02/01-bluef...
> btChat http://www.mulliner.org/bluetooth/btchat/
>
> I wrote btChat and I can say that it should be very easy to port this to
> windows. Just take a look at my screenshots.
>

> ... Collin
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 7:09:25 AM

"Jesse O. Glidden" <jesse@usbdevware.com> wrote in message
> Nootch dude,
>
> Not only is this possible, but you could probably make some money on this
> program. You really ought to do this, and please post your results in
this
> group.

However if ur thinking of making it a key for the door (so when ur in range
the door auto unlocks), then that might be a bad idea if ur cellphone gets
nicked or the battery has run out :-)
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 11:46:19 AM

Hi Jesse,

> did you do it with a lower or upper filter driver, or something
> altogether different? I'm using the Windows WDM paradigm-speak here.

it's not a device or filter driver - it's a simple application which
scanns (inquirys) every N seconds...

.... Collin

--
Collin R. Mulliner <collin@betaversion.net>
BETAVERSiON Systems [www.betaversion.net]
info/pgp: finger collin@betaversion.net
you have nothing to say and no way to say it, but you can say it in
three languages
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 1:07:55 PM

Hi,

We worked in some like this for Symbian Phones (in a future also for
Smartphones).

http://www.endorasoft.es/promocion/xscanbt_scr04.jpg
http://www.endorasoft.es/promocion/xscanbt_scr05.jpg
http://www.endorasoft.es/promocion/xscanbt_scr06.jpg
http://www.endorasoft.es/promocion/xscanbt_scr07.jpg

In a few weeks are avaible for download.

Regards,
Sir Graham.
http://www.endorasoft.es

!