Writing a "Bluetooth Detector" program?

Hi group,

sorry if this is a totally newbie thing to ask, but is it possible (on
a conceptual level, at least) to create a program that listens for new
Bluetooth devices coming into its range (for instance, a new pair of
Bluetooth headphones) and print some sort of identifying ID on screen.

I.e. "Headset with the ID
"154.AF3.whatever.the.hell.kind.of.ID.Bluetooth.Devs.have.1" has just
entered the premises."

Would it also be possible to detect, say, cell phones or pocket pc's
which have their Bluetooth turned on?

Thanks in advance
Nootch
6 answers Last reply
More about writing bluetooth detector program

    Nootch dude,

    Not only is this possible, but you could probably make some money on this
    program. You really ought to do this, and please post your results in this
    group.

    While you are writing this device driver (hint, hint, upper filter driver),
    go to this group for questions you may have:

    microsoft.public.development.device.drivers

    They are very helpful.

    > sorry if this is a totally newbie thing to ask, but is it possible (on
    > a conceptual level, at least) to create a program that listens for new
    > Bluetooth devices coming into its range (for instance, a new pair of
    > Bluetooth headphones) and print some sort of identifying ID on screen.
    >
    > I.e. "Headset with the ID
    > "154.AF3.whatever.the.hell.kind.of.ID.Bluetooth.Devs.have.1" has just
    > entered the premises."

    > Would it also be possible to detect, say, cell phones or pocket pc's
    > which have their Bluetooth turned on?

    I don't see why not.

    --
    ------------------
    Jesse O. Glidden

    Hi,

    there are two programs that do exactly what you want!

    BlueFOAF http://usefulinc.com/edd/blog/contents/2004/02/01-bluefoaf/read
    btChat http://www.mulliner.org/bluetooth/btchat/

    I wrote btChat and I can say that it should be very easy to port this to
    windows. Just take a look at my screenshots.

    .... Collin

    --
    Collin R. Mulliner <collin@betaversion.net>
    BETAVERSiON Systems [www.betaversion.net]

    Nice, Collin!

    I had a feeling about this, but I'm always trying to get people to repeat
    efforts because new things are always discovered.

    But tell me,

    did you do it with a lower or upper filter driver, or something altogether
    different? I'm using the Windows WDM paradigm-speak here.

    ------------------
    Jesse O. Glidden
    http://www.USBDevWare.com
    jesse@usbdevware.com

    > there are two programs that do exactly what you want!
    >
    > BlueFOAF http://usefulinc.com/edd/blog/contents/2004/02/01-bluefoaf/read
    > btChat http://www.mulliner.org/bluetooth/btchat/
    >
    > I wrote btChat and I can say that it should be very easy to port this to
    > windows. Just take a look at my screenshots.
    >

    > ... Collin
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    "Jesse O. Glidden" <jesse@usbdevware.com> wrote in message
    > Nootch dude,
    >
    > Not only is this possible, but you could probably make some money on this
    > program. You really ought to do this, and please post your results in
    this
    > group.

    However if ur thinking of making it a key for the door (so when ur in range
    the door auto unlocks), then that might be a bad idea if ur cellphone gets
    nicked or the battery has run out :-)
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    Hi Jesse,

    > did you do it with a lower or upper filter driver, or something
    > altogether different? I'm using the Windows WDM paradigm-speak here.

    it's not a device or filter driver - it's a simple application which
    scanns (inquirys) every N seconds...

    .... Collin

    --
    Collin R. Mulliner <collin@betaversion.net>
    BETAVERSiON Systems [www.betaversion.net]
    info/pgp: finger collin@betaversion.net
    you have nothing to say and no way to say it, but you can say it in
    three languages
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

    Hi,

    We worked in some like this for Symbian Phones (in a future also for
    Smartphones).

    http://www.endorasoft.es/promocion/xscanbt_scr04.jpg
    http://www.endorasoft.es/promocion/xscanbt_scr05.jpg
    http://www.endorasoft.es/promocion/xscanbt_scr06.jpg
    http://www.endorasoft.es/promocion/xscanbt_scr07.jpg

    In a few weeks are avaible for download.

    Regards,
    Sir Graham.
    http://www.endorasoft.es

    "Nootch" <nootch@hotmail.com> escribió en el mensaje
    > Hi group,
    >
    > sorry if this is a totally newbie thing to ask, but is it possible (on
    > a conceptual level, at least) to create a program that listens for new
    > Bluetooth devices coming into its range (for instance, a new pair of
    > Bluetooth headphones) and print some sort of identifying ID on screen.
    >
    > I.e. "Headset with the ID
    > "154.AF3.whatever.the.hell.kind.of.ID.Bluetooth.Devs.have.1" has just
    > entered the premises."
    >
    > Would it also be possible to detect, say, cell phones or pocket pc's
    > which have their Bluetooth turned on?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Nootch

Bluetooth Conceptual Cell Phones