i'm using windows xp home. i want to reformat my c:/
drive to fat 32. if i do this, do i have to reinstall
windows, and every program that's installed on my
computer?

What are you currently formatted as?

"nefball7" wrote:

> i'm using windows xp home. i want to reformat my c:/
> drive to fat 32. if i do this, do i have to reinstall
> windows, and every program that's installed on my
> computer?

Yes, everything will have to be reinstalled.
Clean Installation:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/cleanxp.htm

Files and Settings Transfer Wizard may make it easier:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"nefball7" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i'm using windows xp home. i want to reformat my c:/
> drive to fat 32. if i do this, do i have to reinstall
> windows, and every program that's installed on my
> computer?

nefball7,

Yes you can convert an NTFS file system to FAT by using Partition Magic 8.x.
The following text is copied from Symantec's site regarding the above
product;

"Will PartitionMagic convert NTFS partitions to FAT or FAT32?
Yes. As with any file system conversion, make sure that your operating
system supports the file system before you perform the conversion. When you
convert from NTFS to a FAT or FAT32 file system, you lose the advantages of
the NTFS file system. You may receive errors 1680, 1681, and 1687 when
performing this conversion. These errors indicate that features of NTFS will
be lost."

For more info visit the following site;

http://tinyurl.com/4zp6r

HTH

--
Sir_George

"nefball7" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i'm using windows xp home. i want to reformat my c:/
> drive to fat 32. if i do this, do i have to reinstall
> windows, and every program that's installed on my
> computer?

nefball7,

In my initial post I failed to mention that the conversion is "in-place" so
you do not have to reformat the drive, reinstall the operating system (or
programs) and no information will be lost. There is, however, a risk
involved with any conversion, so be sure to backup any important data prior
to performing the task.

--
Sir_George