dylanpc

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
hey guys quick question here. so i have an antec 902 v3 and it has the 120mm option on the side of the case. when i didnt have a 120 in there, i got around 33-35 c for my cpu temp and usually around 18-22 c for my motherboard. now with my fan on the side i am getting about 36-42 c for my cpu and 22-23 for my motherboard. is there anything that can be causing this rise in temperature?

Disruption of airflow would be my guess.
I have a 902 btw and found the side fan was less then ideal.
I placed my extra 120mm on the hdd cage mount in front of my gpu.
Good spot = dropped my gpu temps 1-2C.
Can't use a side fan in that case if you have a decent aftermarket cooler anyways.

The temps rise when you place fans badly. Basically, if you have interfering streams of air or air being pumped onto the CPU fan. The flow rates on the blades cause the fans to work under more pressure against or with the stream of air.
A good idea would be to use a smoke test, if you smoke use a cigg if you don't use an incense stick. That's a poor mans multi million dollar wind tunnel for you.
Make sure no fans push air or pull air directly from the top of other fans inside the rig.
The NB&SB should either get a direct focused stream of air on them, using small fans or then no air directly on them, they stay cooler with the front intake fans throwing air around them.
The GPUs should ideally take air in an toss it out the back , here again the front intake fans work best.
The CPU cools best when you have the rear and the top exhaust fans and a good after market cooler.
Make sure to find out if the case has negative or positive pressure on the inside and balance it out......
Cable management drops a degree or two....
Here's a must read on airflow....
http://icrontic.com/article/pc_airflow_heat_cooling_guide