Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Final Fantasy XI {Help Me Out!}

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 29, 2011 12:51:12 AM

XI is an old mmo game ('02) that hasn't seen an engine update since... its inception I believe.

Quote:
PC Requirements (Bare Minimum)

- 800 MHz Pentium III Processor
- Windows 98 or higher
- DirectX 8.1 or higher
- 128 MB of RAM
- 6.5 GB of Hard Drive Space
- CD Rom drive
- A 56k connection or greater
- An ATI card with at least 32 MB of Video RAM or a NVIDIA GeForce card with at least 32 MB of Video RAM.

PC Requirements (Recommended for full enjoyment)

- Pentium 4+
- Windows 98 or higher
- DirectX 8.1 or higher
- 256 MB of RAM
- 6.5 GB of Hard Drive Space
- Broadband type connection
- Video card with 64MB of Video RAM
- A PS to PC Controller Converter to play with your PS Pad

I bought a new very nice computer that plays new titles like Mafia 2 flawlessly at ultra settings. It's--

- i5 2500k @ stock speeds
- Windows 7 64bit Personal
- 8 gb of ram
- Plenty of free Hard Drive Space
- PALIT - NVIDIA 560 Ti w 2gb onboard
- - Driver is 275.33, I've tried the newest beta as well.
- - Settings for the game are on default, though I have tried to tinker with it, to no avail.
- Xbox Controller

On default/low settings, I get some amazing issues... Many texture tiles don't connect completely (a 1 pixel wide cap) random pieces of terrain don't load.. but these don't bother me.. old game... issues..

With all AA off (which XI is said not to support) I get ridiculous tearing and still experience the issue I'll get into below. (I do use a third-party shell program that enables the injection of addons but I experience these problems with or without use of the program).

* Sometimes, I load waist-deep into the terrain
* Today it loaded and camera controls resembled something out of Inception, moving the camera wildly distorted the terrain.
* If I ctrl+alt+del to pull up task manager, ffxi crashes. (This isn't a big deal but might tell someone something)
* Not that you or I would expect it to, but it is not taxing my video card at all... flash games work it about as hard. My temperature is not high.. it doesn't change from no-games. Fan speed is normal. Air coming out of vents is cool. Playing another game does actually register on the monitor (MSI Afterburner).

Finally, it has, on a number of occasions crashing saying something to the effect of "Your video card has stopped working but has recovered.".

So.....frustrating. I should be able to run 10 copies of this game (at least), though I'm only interested in running 2 but I'm not yet.

I'm aware that
* XI doesn't support multiple GPUs well (but this doesn't apply to me).
* XI doesn't support multiple CPUs well but my first cpu, or any of them, aren't being taxed. CPU1 should have no issue. I should have enough resources...obviously.

Earlier when XI crashed, it immediately crashed again after system restart (though not a system shutdown).

I'm aware of an issue with FFXI being written for Shader 1.0 and Windows 7 forcing it to use a new version. I've googled a lot and it seems that even if this is my issue, there's nothing NVIDIA cards can do about it.

More about : final fantasy

a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2011 1:19:04 AM

This may or may not help but have you tried to run the game under compatability mode for XP?
Score
July 29, 2011 1:28:32 AM

I've Had that option on and off...to no improvement. You think I should definitely turn it on?

It was actually the first thing I did with the game upon first installation but when I was experiencing the problems, I disabled that..
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2011 1:33:48 AM

Windows attempts to recreate as many settings as possible so that the program thinks that it's running under XP and not some unknown OS that looks like Windows. It might be because you're runnign a 64-bit OS and this program might have some 16-bit extensions that just won't play right. It could be a lot of things but first have you downloaded the optional components for DirectX off of Microsoft's website?
July 29, 2011 1:36:13 AM

mister g said:
Windows attempts to recreate as many settings as possible so that the program thinks that it's running under XP and not some unknown OS that looks like Windows. It might be because you're runnign a 64-bit OS and this program might have some 16-bit extensions that just won't play right. It could be a lot of things but first have you downloaded the optional components for DirectX off of Microsoft's website?

I have not.. I'll start googling for that now.

Now..one very noobish question...

Could my monitor be causing these issues?
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2011 1:38:34 AM

If it's been working fine than it really shouldn't be an issue, if you are still worried your monitor manufacterer could have its own drivers for you, Windows 7 automatically got them for me when I connected my monitor through DVI (it was on VGA and on an Intel graphics chip before)
Score
July 29, 2011 1:51:01 AM

mister g said:
If it's been working fine than it really shouldn't be an issue, if you are still worried your monitor manufacterer could have its own drivers for you, Windows 7 automatically got them for me when I connected my monitor through DVI (it was on VGA and on an Intel graphics chip before)

Thanks for the help!

DX is fine and up to date. The shell program "Windower" and the game itself are set to XP SP3 compatibility mode now... All I can do now is try to login and see what happens though it often takes several hours for that to start happening. I'll update if it happens or if it does not after a day or two.

If anyone else has any suggestions or similar experience, please {Help me out!} ^^;.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2011 2:30:39 AM

I'm sorry but I'm not seeing the problem. This game is really turning out to be one buggy program.
Score
July 29, 2011 2:41:17 AM

Weird. I look at those images now after a fresh restart and they're clean. They exactly captured the smear I saw when I ss'd them.

lol ... yeah those pictures are flawless... damn
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2011 2:51:20 AM

Is there any way to access a Windows XP PC? If so why don't you test it on that PC since most of the problems would probably go away.
Score
July 29, 2011 3:16:07 AM

Wow the game requires Windows 98... ^^ BTW even if you did install the latest DirectX (hope you did), you still have to install DirectX 8 for old games. The latest DirectX does only pack version 9 to 11. :-(

Oh I saw that you run a 64bit Windows. Oh well it may cause a lot of problems since this game is really really old. If that is the case, you could try to run the game into a virtual 32bit Windows XP (or in Linux using Wine).

Btw you said the game does not support multi-core cpus. Do try to run the game then QUICKLY hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE, then modify the affinity to make the game run on only one cpu. If the game still crash cause of the CTRL+ALT+DELETE bug you mentionned, you may try the software tomshardware made years ago to automate the affinities:

THG Task Assignment Manager
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1393
Score
July 30, 2011 4:01:57 AM

Thanks for the help Misters G. and Big. =)

So far, I've not needed to do anything MrBig55 suggested (only just now saw the post) but I've had a day of it running perfectly clean so maybe things are looking up. I sold my old XP PC when I got this one, because XP was aging but I was never interested in Vista (personal bad experiences...I like XP better than 7 as far as ease of use but 7 has been really stable for me outside of FFXI).

I have installed dx8, but how can I be certain it's on here? dxdiag shows 11. If I have any more problems, I will try the THG Manager.

I'll be back in a day or two, if no problems, to update and mark this as solved.

Thanks again.
Score
August 5, 2011 3:09:36 PM

Best answer selected by thatdudegrim.
Score
August 5, 2011 3:10:56 PM

It's been working fine for days now. I had one crash but I'm ok with with a rare crash.. Ooooold game, new technology, new software... It's not perfect.

Thanks again for the help.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 5, 2011 4:47:46 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!