Stupid newbie question.
New PC.
i7 2600K processor
Asus P8X68 V LX
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit.
16GB 13333 memory
Radeon 5830 1GB
550 W PS

When I bought this the guy had Geekbench 2.2.3 installed and ran a benchmark of around 16000. I was able to repeat that test until I started playing with windows settings and the bios. I did reinstall the latest’s bios so it should be a clean version w/o my tweaks. I have loaded some programs and have updated most of the drivers and I did something somewhere that now runs the benchmark at 5357. It’s a 32 bit benchmark test as it was before. I tried to use the AI suite auto tune but it does not seem to keep the higher clock speed. I still get the 5357.

I also downloaded Passmark 7.0 evaluation and the system scores a 1743. I think a low score compared to similar systems so I must have something wrong somewhere.

In my Device Manager under processor it shows 8 Intel Core i7 2600k CPU @ 3.4GHz. Should there be 8 listed or 4 since it’s a 4 core processor? Or 1??

Anyway if someone has an idea where I went wrong or who I should call (Asus maybe) to get this baby back in shape???

Thanks!!
a c 103 à CPUs
December 30, 2011 3:25:35 AM

Four physical cores, plus four virtual cores from the hyperthreading, dev manager sees eight, its normal :) 
Moto
Score
a c 185 à CPUs
December 30, 2011 3:29:58 AM

4 physical cores and 4 logical cores, so 8 cores in all!
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a c 471 à CPUs
December 30, 2011 4:00:02 AM

Logical cores are not the same as physical cores. Hyper Threading (HT) works kinda like this... If you run a program that can make use of all 4 core and is HT capable, then when a core is not busy processing data from one thread it can process data from another thread.

To explain it in a non technical way... Let say a Quad Core CPU is a 4 lane highway. I think the standard for safe driving is 1 car length for every 10MPH you are driving, so if all cars are driving at 60MHPs then there must be 6 car lengths between every car. Therefore, traveling from point A to B means X number of cars can travel the distance in 1 hour.

Tossing in Hyper Threading in this analogy is like tossing in some "unsafe drivers" every now and then a car will cut in between two other cars, but the cars do not slow down / speed up to reset the safe driving to 10 car lengths between cars. This means in 1 hour the number of cars that can travel between point A and point B is X + the # of cars that decided to cut in between two other cars.
January 5, 2012 11:05:07 PM

Best answer selected by Scooby 128.
Score
!