Stupid newbie question.
New PC.
i7 2600K processor
Asus P8X68 V LX
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit.
16GB 13333 memory
Radeon 5830 1GB
550 W PS

When I bought this the guy had Geekbench 2.2.3 installed and ran a benchmark of around 16000. I was able to repeat that test until I started playing with windows settings and the bios. I did reinstall the latest’s bios so it should be a clean version w/o my tweaks. I have loaded some programs and have updated most of the drivers and I did something somewhere that now runs the benchmark at 5357. It’s a 32 bit benchmark test as it was before. I tried to use the AI suite auto tune but it does not seem to keep the higher clock speed. I still get the 5357.

I also downloaded Passmark 7.0 evaluation and the system scores a 1743. I think a low score compared to similar systems so I must have something wrong somewhere.

In my Device Manager under processor it shows 8 Intel Core i7 2600k CPU @ 3.4GHz. Should there be 8 listed or 4 since it’s a 4 core processor? Or 1??

Anyway if someone has an idea where I went wrong or who I should call (Asus maybe) to get this baby back in shape???

Thanks!!

Solution
Logical cores are not the same as physical cores. Hyper Threading (HT) works kinda like this... If you run a program that can make use of all 4 core and is HT capable, then when a core is not busy processing data from one thread it can process data from another thread.

To explain it in a non technical way... Let say a Quad Core CPU is a 4 lane highway. I think the standard for safe driving is 1 car length for every 10MPH you are driving, so if all cars are driving at 60MHPs then there must be 6 car lengths between every car. Therefore, traveling from point A to B means X number of cars can travel the distance in 1 hour.

Tossing in Hyper Threading in this analogy is like tossing in some "unsafe drivers" every now and then a car will...
Logical cores are not the same as physical cores. Hyper Threading (HT) works kinda like this... If you run a program that can make use of all 4 core and is HT capable, then when a core is not busy processing data from one thread it can process data from another thread.

To explain it in a non technical way... Let say a Quad Core CPU is a 4 lane highway. I think the standard for safe driving is 1 car length for every 10MPH you are driving, so if all cars are driving at 60MHPs then there must be 6 car lengths between every car. Therefore, traveling from point A to B means X number of cars can travel the distance in 1 hour.

Tossing in Hyper Threading in this analogy is like tossing in some "unsafe drivers" every now and then a car will cut in between two other cars, but the cars do not slow down / speed up to reset the safe driving to 10 car lengths between cars. This means in 1 hour the number of cars that can travel between point A and point B is X + the # of cars that decided to cut in between two other cars.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.