Sign in with
Your question

Wireless not working- Multiple Cards- Inspiron 2600

Last response: in Wireless Networking
February 14, 2011 3:32:45 PM

Ok, so awhile ago I borrowed my dad's computer while mine was in the shop and it worked fine with a wireless pc card. Well, it had some issues so I reformatted it with a dell xp disc service pack 1. Since then I could not get the netgear ma521 card to pick up any networks. So, I spent a ridiculous amount of time messing with it with no success. I used that card on an identical computer and it worked fine. Still thinking it was a compatibility issue, I bought a linksys g-series card with the same issue. The "link" light never lights up. I'm pretty sure I've installed all the correct drivers. What am I missing? I've also tried reformatting using dell disc with service pack 2 and a factory xp pro disc. Same issues with all. I can get online via hard wire and get all updates but I'm just stuck???

Dell Inspiron 2600 laptop.
a c 79 F Wireless
February 14, 2011 4:20:55 PM

did you install any netgear software for the ma521?

if you did, uninstall it and have windows control the NIC. All you need is the rivers.
m
l
February 14, 2011 5:19:35 PM

Yes, the netgear software I installed and it never worked. I have not reinstalled since reformatting. Where do I switch to having windows control it. Is it fine to use it that way with the Linksys?
m
l
a c 79 F Wireless
February 15, 2011 12:02:13 AM

by only installing the drivers Windows will have control over the network card.

I recommend to use the software only if Windows fails.
m
l
!