Mobo Advice Please

Tompass_98

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
so edit:

concluded that I will be running with an asus z77 extreme 4 for 140$. Seems like the best price/performance I could find.

The 3570K is as good as it gets today for gaming, regardless of price.
I think it will be good for that purpose for longer than anything else you can buy today.
4-6 years might be pushing it though.

You will want a Z77 based motherboard that gives you multiplier overclocking and pcie 3.0.
I would not spend a bunch on a enthusiast motherboard.
Any Z77 motherboard will OC to about the same conservative limit.
Buy based on the number of expansion slots you need or sata ports, or whatever features you need.
Consider a smaller, cheaper M-ATX format with 4 expansion slots.

Past that, most any Z77 motherboard will do.
Some will suggest a more expensive cf/sli capable motherboard for the futute.
But I have doubts on the wisdom of that.
Today, a single card upgrade can go from your GTX560 to GTX670, and even a $1000 GTX690.
All still using your 750w psu.
Next year, we will see GTX7xx and amd 8xxx based cards that are even stronger.

Tompass_98

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

How do you feel about the azrock z77 extreme 4, running gtx 560 ti transitioning into a better video card 1-2 years from now.

The Z77 Extreme4 is a decent budget board imho i personally wouldn't buy it.But seems good from the reviews and members here on TH seem to fancy it.I have done a few builds for friends with it the only negative I have for this motherboard is that it slips outside of typical ATX specifications. It’s 3cm thinner than a standard ATX motherboard and as a result may lack secure mounting on the far side since this isn’t a common size, which also means you should be very careful when plugging in the 24-pin ATX motherboard power – as the motherboard may flex.The Z77 Extreme 4 had a problem with VRM cooling.I prefer quality assurance i do not feel i get that with Asrock so i go with Asus or gigabyte.