Video card in dell vostro 230

Jim Collison

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Hello,
I bought the Dell Vostro 230 and want to use a 2 monitor setup. I bought an EV3A GeForce 9800GT and installed the card but didn't have a compatible power supply feed for the card. Dell has a very thin connector that I haven't seen before, available from the hard drive power cable. Neither monitor booted at all... no mouse or keyboard too. Can the 9800GT run Ok without a separate power source and also, do I need to disable the integrated graphics card that came with the computer? This graphics card was an additional feature that I paid for but it has a DVI connector that won't fit either of the 2 connectors I tried to use with the new 19" Dell HD monitor I want to use a a second screen?

Solution
Even if you had the proper power connection for the graphics card, it's doubtful it would actually work given your system only has a 300watt power supply (probably needs a 450-500 watt PSU for that graphics card). The thin connector from the hard drive is probably a secondary SATA Power connection.

Your best bet would be to return the card (if possible) and go for a lower end graphics card that does not require an additional power connection. Look for something like a Geforce GT420 or Radeo HD5450.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Oh, and it might help if we knew what types of inputs your monitors have: VGA (D-Sub 15), DVI (apparently not), HDMI, or DisplayPort.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Even if you had the proper power connection for the graphics card, it's doubtful it would actually work given your system only has a 300watt power supply (probably needs a 450-500 watt PSU for that graphics card). The thin connector from the hard drive is probably a secondary SATA Power connection.

Your best bet would be to return the card (if possible) and go for a lower end graphics card that does not require an additional power connection. Look for something like a Geforce GT420 or Radeo HD5450.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Oh, and it might help if we knew what types of inputs your monitors have: VGA (D-Sub 15), DVI (apparently not), HDMI, or DisplayPort.

Solution

Jim Collison

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
Thanks to all of you who offered advice for my problem. I got connectors for the power to the nVidia graphics card I had bought and now both monitors are working fine. I'm using the DVI and VGA outputs. The only issue I am having, and it's not a biggie, is that one monitor has a blue Dell theme and the other always goes to a red Dell theme. If I switch the outputs the monitors reverse themes. I'd prefer to use the blue theme on both. I've gone into the Win 7 "Personalize" options section and changed it to both blue but it doesn't change. I tried using the nVidia software to change the setting with no satisfactory result, also. Is the issue caused by something in the nVidia software? I looked at a few threads and other folks who had similar issues thought it was. Either way thanks for all the help, especially Wolfshadw.
Jim