Fan load on CPU_Fan connection of P9x79 Pro

LogicaLucidity

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Hello Everyone,

I will be mounting 4 Cooler Master Excalibur R4-EXBB-20PK-R0 120mm Case
Fans in a push pull configuration on a Corsair H100. All 4 fans will be plugged into
the CPU_Fan and the CPU_Opt_Fan connections on the P9x79 Pro via two Gelid
Solutions Model CA-PWM 350 mm PWM Y Cable Splitters.

So, 2 fans in each connection. I want to be sure that the connection can handle both
fans. Here are all the power details of the fans and P9x79 Pro that I can find:

A single Cooler Master Excalibur:
Voltage: 12 V DC,
Current (Ampere): 0.45A Max.,
Power consumption: 6 W Max.

Each CPU Fan connection on the P9x79 Pro:
Supports a maximum 1A (12 W) fan power

Can I put 2 of the Cooler Master Excalibur fans on a single CPU Fan connection of
the P9x79 Pro?

Is it safe? Am I pushing the limit of that connection too far?

I have already asked Asus and they took the 'no liability' way out and said they do not know. So here I am...

Details of Build:
Corsair 650D Case
Asus P9x79
Pro Intel i7-3930K
G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB DDR3 2133
EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW+
Corsair HX1050
Corsair H100
1 Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition 120mm Fan
1 Cooler Master 200mm 120mm
4 Cooler Master Excaliber 120mm Fans
2 Samsung 830 256GB SSD - Raid 1
2 Samsung F4 2TB HDD - Raid 1
1 External WD 2TB

I will be using this PC for everything from Video editing, Gaming, to processing massive amounts of Tick Data for use in the Forex Market....a little of everything.

Thank you for your time,
Logic

Solution
Honestly, 4 fans on the H100 is probably overkill. 2 should more than do the trick. However, I do think you'll be okay with the 4 fan config because it is unlikely that all 4 will run at 100%.

BTW, think of the noise you may generate as well.

Good luck! (Note my Sig below)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Honestly, 4 fans on the H100 is probably overkill. 2 should more than do the trick. However, I do think you'll be okay with the 4 fan config because it is unlikely that all 4 will run at 100%.

BTW, think of the noise you may generate as well.

Good luck! (Note my Sig below)

Solution

LogicaLucidity

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Thank you very much for your reply. I do appreciate it.

My I ask what cooling set up you have...for reference?

This was in fact my original thought but was told by many that I should go for a Push/pull config. Originally I was going to push exhaust out eh top with only 2 PWM fans.

I just saw the Gelid PWM 1 to 4 Fan Connector Splitter that allows the user to hook up to 4 PWM fans and power them with the PSU via a molex.

Found HERE:
http://www.xoxide.com/gelid-pwm1to4.html?gclid=COjRqcj2irMCFUZgMgod62kAqg

This would result in no added load to the Motherboard.

If I were to load each connection with 2 fans this may be the safest way to go. I would know there would be no risk to the motherboard.

If anyone has any thoughts, opinions, or criticism on any of this Please do not hesitate to speak up.

Even suggestions of new fans are welcome. I have found it hard to nail down good opinions on PWM fans.

-Logic

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I use a CM Hyper 212 EVO with 2 Noctua 120mm PWM fans in a push/pull config. My rig is nearly silent.

The fan controller is a good idea and will ensure you don't stress the fan headers on the mobo.

If you go that route, you'll need to disable the fan speed (set to ignore) settings in the BIOS.

LogicaLucidity

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
I went ahead and ordered the Gelid PWM 1 to 4 Fan Connector Splitter that allows the user to hook up to 4 PWM fans and power them with the PSU via a molex.

This will allow me to test with 4 fans with no load and see how it sounds, then test with two fans.

Depending on the sound difference and Temp difference I will make a choice.

Either way, the load on the MoBo will not be an issue.

Thank you,
Logic

TRENDING THREADS