starker19

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
my monitor is not getting a signal and when it does it flickers.How can i find out what type of video card i have?

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Manufacturers advertise the product models on the hardware. So look for the motherboard model then the web will give you those details. ^^

Try to hook the monitor cable to both graphic card connectors (if you have two indeed) just to be sure it is not one of them being blown-up. The monitor cable might also be worn-out so getting a new one may correct that. If you have both DVI and VGA connectors, try the other type to see if it solves it. You could also try another graphic card to see if it corrects the problem. If not then you may have a failed power supply / motherboard.

glad that you understood the meaning of internal :)

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Internal v. external is not the same as onboard v. discrete.

Starker, do you have a discrete video card added to the mobo or are you using integrated graphics on the mobo?

If not sure, go to Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/Sytem Information
Select (and expand if necessary by clicking the plus sign ahead of the name) Components/Multimedia/Display
Then copy and paste the top 7 lines and it will tell what you have.

Did this problem just start on its own, or result from any special actions - including any hardware or software changes or even after moving the computer or monitor or reconnecting any cables?
Have you tried using a different monitor and/or cable to isolate the issue?
Does this occur both when starting the system and during operation?

TRENDING THREADS